technical

trini

Hello Mates, I have a problem  and I need a quick solution. On the 28 Dodge Senior gearbox. Which way does the clutch disc face the flywheel ?  Both sides of the plate is stamped (front) This assembly has a ring plate between the release bearing and the disc, resembling a clock spring style and three groves that is mounted  on three studs fixed on the flywheel.  I installed the gearbox twice with the short end of the disc spline facing the flywheel but there is not much movement on the pedal. I cannot remember how much movement was on the pedal before I removed the gearbox. If I remember correctly there were plenty movement but I am subject to correction. Weevil have eaten the wood main frame and I am doing a complete ground up rebuild. At 81 years my memory sometimes plays tricks on me.  Cheers and have a nice day.

Harry in Toronto Canada.

Thank you keiser 31. this clutch is totally manual, no hydraulics. The pedal moves freely on its shaft. Only the link is adjustable by removing the cotter pin and turning the yoke one way or another for pedal height. This pressure plate has 3 slots . at equal distances on the outer edge and 3 lugs (pins) on the recessed flywheel so the pressure plate has to fit on the logs and slide in and out freely . The clutch plate is fitted on a recessed flywheel, then the pressure plate, all in the recess. The pressure plate is held in place by 3  7/16 bolts via 3 tabs (all recessed in the flywheel. Even the gearbox bell housing is  recess into the flywheel.

The center of the clutch plate has a heavy spring shaped like a clock  spring.

According to the manual ,remove  the inspection plate and turn something inside the plate bearing to adjust clutch for wear. Something like a Spicer 16 speed gear box and not the pedal rod. I never saw one like it in my life. The pedal link is only for pedal height.

I tried twice, re and re with no luck I am going shortly and remove the gearbox again, take some pictures and see if I can upload them on this forum. The clutch plate is new and was working fine before. I am going remove the gearbox shortly .

14 minutes ago, trini said:

Hello keiser31, I re and re this gearbox 5 times . My neighbor who is a current army mechanic helped me twice . No luck. Pedal will not depress. I took pictures and I am trying to upload them.

Cheers.

Send them to me and I will post them here if you like.

keiser 31 @ charter .net (no spaces)

Actually, looking at the diagram in-depth zoomed in, it appears that the rubber isolator side is towards the pressure plate, and no discernible difference in length of the hub of either side of the friction plates.

But the actually item definitely look like there was a difference.

Thank you keiser31. You are a true patriot.

The last picture of the flywheel  shows how it is recessed  to accommodate the clutch assembly. I tried to show the dowels fixed inside the flywheel. One of the pictures shows the plate behind the disc, that floats on the dowels. It also has the 3 (fingers) levers which is pushed by the release bearing . The pressure plate assembly is loaded with a  strange  type (wound like a clock spring spring) yet of compression type . The manual warns not to fool around with that spring as it is loaded at the factory. If you notice the back of the pressure plate in the picture  I installed the bolts in the incorrect spots. The bolts must be installed   directly at the  points of the tips " 3 pointed star". Notice in  my installation  the bolts are to the right of the pointed "star" which is incorrect.  Even the gearbox bell housing  is fitted into a machined  grove. NO SLOP.  I am amazed how efficient and advanced  the Dodge Brothers  technology was for the times. Every part is machined at very close tolerances.  No room for the  mechanic to make mistakes .

Cheers.