1953 jack question

MrEarl

Ok, I have this jack for sale in our Buy/Sell and for the bucks I'm asking for it need to know that it is unequivocally a correct 1953 jack. I have looked at the 53 Service bulletin and it appears to be the later Walker jack but I am not seeing the flat iron metal lip seen on the end of this ones hook. It looks factory and not to have been added by an owner. 

Any help will be much appreciated 

IMG_5815.JPGIMG_5816.JPGIMG_5817.JPGIMG_5820.JPGIMG_5821.JPGIMG_5822.JPGIMG_5715.JPGIMG_5716.JPGIMG_5824.JPG

IMG_5818.JPG

IMG_5819.JPG

Lamar:

I checked both of my old parts books and here is what I found.

Group 8.820

Part 1391228,  Jack, Auto (Complete), 1953/All

This number is 1953 only.  

There is also listed in same Group:

Load Member - Auto Jack,  Part 1163365 for Walker, 1953/All

Load Member - Auto Jack,  Part  1163356 for Auto Specialties, 1953/All

Any idea what a "Load Member" is?   Possibly the straight steel upright member that supports the weight?

Hope this helps.

Joe, BCA 33493

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Joseph P. Indusi said:

I will check my jack for my 1953 Special to see if looks like the photos you posted.

Joe, BCA 33493

Thanks Joe but I  don't think that will be necessary, unless you just want to , as I received this from who I consider to be the unparalleled expert on 53-54 Buicks but for whatever reason of which I respect chose not to respond here.  :)  I would like to enter it here for future reference. 

I agree that your jack has the profile of the Walker brand and I've never heard of different models for the Super vs. the Roadmaster (or Special). It's mentioned in the Service Bulletin that the updated version (Design #2) has a removable load member (hook) vs. the original riveted-on load member. Your's looks like it has a removable pin attaching the load member. It could be a late Walker Design #3 with that reinforced hook plate to better match the profile of the 1951-1953 Buick bumpers. Knowledgeable judges shouldn't have a problem with this jack in a 1953 Buick. I have the Auto Specialties brand of jack for my 1953 Lark otherwise I would buy it.  It's an item you don't often see up for sale. Good luck. 

• Like 1

Hi Lamar 

just to add additional info , I enclose photos of my 53 Buick Owners Guide , same jack as mine , I would say it amazes me that the upright takes all that weight of my car and I bet supers and road masters weigh more and use same jack , Buick tried and tested I guess.

IMG_1525.JPG

IMG_1526.JPG

Edited by Pilgrim65 (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1