1940 BUICK SPECIAL NEW MEMBER HELP NEEDED

buick special

Hello All;

I just joined the forum as I am a vintage Buick owner again after many years

I had a few 32 Chevys and Buicks years ago and sadly forgot most of what I knew about them

I just picked up an old survivor car a 1940 Special 4 door sedan

Car was last started and driven appx 3-4yrs ago

So far I only put some marvel mystery oil in the cylinders and cleaned out some rubbish out of the cat

any other things I should do prior to attempting a start?

I noticed the interior controls are quite different from my early cars

can some one tell me the correct starting procedure

I also noticed the shift linkage coming from the firewall to the engine compartment is loose in the hole and looks like a bushing or rubber piece is missing or rotted off

Anyway greetings to all and any and all help / info would be appreciated

AJ

I would change the oil,  (really should drop the pan to be sure it isn't gunked up with a lot of sludge and check and clean the oil pump)

Flush and fill the radiator.

Check your transmission, differential and steering box for proper fluid level.

You can pull the distributor and by using a screwdriver blade affixed into an electric drill, drive the oil pump counter clockwise to prime the oiling system.

While the distributor is out, check your point gap and dress the contacts.

I'm sure the gas is old and stale, so you can easily drain the tank and put a few fresh gallons in there.

The carburetor may be gummed up from the old gas......

Pull the spark plugs and check the gap and clean the contacts

Air up the tires.

How's the battery?

I know there's more to come!

• Like 1

x2 to what Gary said.  Since the car hasn't run in several years, you will want to make sure that any fluids left in the radiator/block had enough antifreeze content that freezing didn't occur, causing any damage.

The starting procedure is based on a vacuum operated contact in the carb that is normally closed unless the engine is running and providing vacuum.  The key switch energizes the coil, then depressing the accelerator initiates the starter which then stops engaging once a vacuum is developed. 

Welcome, AJ

Where you located?  If the car was run as recently as you stated, do you know any history? Has the engine been worked on, that sort of thing?  You might remove the oil fill cap on top of the rocker arm cover, reach a finger inside and up against the top of the cover and see what sticks to it. If sludgy, Gary's advice is spot on. If it comes out clean, maybe not necessary to drop the pan.  Your call.

Sometimes the switch Ken is talking about has been taken out of the circuit in cars of this age. In that case, there will probably be a push button somewhere on or under the dash. 

Pictures are appreciated. Engine compartment, too.

Ben

4 hours ago, Gary W said:

I would change the oil,  (really should drop the pan to be sure it isn't gunked up with a lot of sludge and check and clean the oil pump)

Flush and fill the radiator.

Check your transmission, differential and steering box for proper fluid level.

You can pull the distributor and by using a screwdriver blade affixed into an electric drill, drive the oil pump counter clockwise to prime the oiling system.

While the distributor is out, check your point gap and dress the contacts.

I'm sure the gas is old and stale, so you can easily drain the tank and put a few fresh gallons in there.

The carburetor may be gummed up from the old gas......

Pull the spark plugs and check the gap and clean the contacts

Air up the tires.

How's the battery?

I know there's more to come!

Thank you for the information

can you let me know the proper type of oil and weight for:

transmission

differential

steering box

All the best

AJ

3 hours ago, kgreen said:

x2 to what Gary said.  Since the car hasn't run in several years, you will want to make sure that any fluids left in the radiator/block had enough antifreeze content that freezing didn't occur, causing any damage.

The starting procedure is based on a vacuum operated contact in the carb that is normally closed unless the engine is running and providing vacuum.  The key switch energizes the coil, then depressing the accelerator initiates the starter which then stops engaging once a vacuum is developed. 

which is the off position and energized position for the key?

The wires are deteriorated in some places

I notices a small rectangular box above the regulator on the drivers side with 3 connectiona at its bottom

one connection wire is frayed and disconnected

I am sure it connects there

what is that small component

anyone have a pic of it with the wires connected?

4 hours ago, buick special said:

The wires are deteriorated in some places

I notices a small rectangular box above the regulator on the drivers side with 3 connectiona at its bottom

one connection wire is frayed and disconnected

I am sure it connects there

what is that small component

anyone have a pic of it with the wires connected?

That is probably the horn relay.

Ben

15 hours ago, buick special said:

which is the off position and energized position for the key?

I believe you have a two position switch which is without the auxiliary power position for a third position or a spring loaded start for a fourth position.  Counterclockwise is open circuit, clockwise is closed circuit.  There is no spring loaded start position which is where valet's usually make mistakes.

Just also noted from the shop manual that the throttle control on the dash can also be used to start the car.

"Starter Operation and  Description of Circuits
All Series
The Buick Starter Control enables the engine to be started automatically, after the ignition has 
been turned on, by operating either the hand throttle control on the instrument panel or by 
pressing down on the accelerator pedal.
The starter circuit is opened and the gears automatically disengaged as soon as the engine
starts."

Edited by kgreen (see edit history)

Thank you kgreen and ben for the replies and pictures , they were very helpful ,

Anyone know how to hand crank the engine?

I tried squeezing down to the pulley and turning it with my hand but could not turn it

I am not sure if I am not strong enough to rotate it with my hand or if the motor is stuck

anyone know how to hand crank this easily?

Good news , I found the old battery (which was dead) and hooked up my charger to it to do a 6v engine start

disconnected coil as test was to determine if motor spun and not to start car yet

pressed accelerator pedal in short independent taps and fan moved slowly each time I tapped the pedal and then stopped

I checked and noticed car was still in gear  which is why engine stopped turning

shift lever only moved to disengaged gear when clutch was pressed

so it appears so far that

motor is not stuck

clutch holds motor from moving

and clutch engages and disengages when pedal is pressed

yipee

• Like 1