Fuel Tank Help

jonahboo

Good morning

back story - fuel filled up my 68 Riv last night (car is recent purchase)

got to where I was going....smelled gas

took a peak under gas tank - and saw this:

single rubber hose from top of tank was leaking gas (assume from when I was braking and tank was "sloshing around")....it is not connected to anything!

in near proximity are (2) metal (fuel - assumed) lines entering up onto frame....and beyond (both different diameters)

is this a rubber tube a  breather tube?

can I merely cap it off?

or

do I connect to metal line?

currently neither metal line is connected to anything

if I connect to metal line....what happens with the other line?

thank you

The larger metal line is the main fuel line that feeds the motor, the smaller one is a vapor return line that sends vapor from the fuel filter back to the gas tank.

The larger rubber hose coming from the top of the tank, does it just end near the metal line? Or does it run forward towards the motor?

If the rubber hose coming from the tank runs forward someone may have bypassed the metal lines (for instance, if it was clogged). If not, it sounds like the hose fell off the metal line, and needs to be reattached. There needs to be a hose clamp on the rubber hose where it goes over the metal line, or it will fall off again.

If there's no hose to from the tank to the vapor return line, it needs to be capped off. I'm not sure what the consequences of not using the vapor return line are. I'm guess that vapor and or gasoline might be dumping out of it at some point.

I don't know about your '68, but on my 63, 64, and 65, there's a vent hose that is attached to the tank.  I'm sure that someone who owns a 68 or 69 can confirm if those years are so equipped. 

There's a nipple  close to the filler neck for a (perhaps) 1/2" hose which then loops up and over the filler neck then extends downward about 6" or so.

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

Post a picture - Don't want to assume here. There are 3 rubber hoses coming off the tank. 3/8 supply to pump, 1/4" vapor return and the largest 11/16 (approximately) is a vent hose that goes to the metal vent tube which enters the trunk compartment and is a looped ,then right back out. One end of the metal tube is to open air.

As preventive maintenance, ALL rubber fuel hoses should be replaced if you are uncertain of their age.