7 Main Bearing 6 Cyl.

Hupp36

Bought  this  engine  a few  years  ago . The  guy  I  bought it  from  said  it  was  rebuilt  and  used  very  little  to  run  a  cutoff  saw  in  a saw mill.I  pulled the  pan  and  found  no  loose  connecting  rods. But  being a  mechanic on  a  52 airplane I  laughed  when  I  saw  how  it  was  safety  wired.  4  out  of  8  were half  correct. 4  were  completely  wrong.Now,  who  knows  what  car  this  engine  go  into?  I  do

DSCN2448.JPG

Who  in  1925 had  his  engineers  design  an  engine  with  7  main  bearings  , force  feed  lude  to  the  mains,  rods  and  camshaft. Charles  Nash He  called  the  new  car  Ajax.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, keiser31 said:

I am thinking some of the early Chrysler engines had 7 main bearings.

As far as I know all of the early Chrysler sixes used the same basic seven main bearing block, with the probable exception of the Imperial 80, which was quite a lot bigger in the bore (3 1/2 and 3 /5/8" depending on the year compared with the biggest of the regular Chryslers, the 77 at 3 3/8"). I had thought that the smaller 60 may have had a different block but I measured one and it is the same length as the early 1925  70 we have, and the same as that in the 1930 77 that belongs to a friend. There are significant differences year by year in the castings but they are all variations of the same thing. The first four bearing engine was the 1928 DeSoto block which then rapidly found its way into all of the Chrysler six cylinder line.

Edited by nzcarnerd (see edit history)