'41 SSE Starter Hookup - 12V

Malo48

Hello all,

My '41 SSE was converted to 12V by the previous owner.  For some reason, there's a whole bunch of wires (9, including battery cable) going to the terminals on the solenoid.  I've not traced them all out yet, but it seems like this could be consolidated to some degree.    
If anyone has photos of what this could/should look like, I'd sure appreciate seeing them.  I'll get some photos of what mine looks like this evening.
I think my next task will be bringing this back to 6V.   I can live without the hidden CD player in the glovebox.  

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Malo48
added sentence (see edit history)

There should be two things connected to the solenoid at that terminal: the positive battery cable (2 gauge or bigger if 6V), and a 10 gauge line going to the BAT (middle) terminal of the horn relay. It's interesting that you will be converting back, and a neat challenge. You've got to find out how "total" the conversion was, did it include all light bulbs, gas gauge and sending unit, etc besides the batt and generator. It probably will involve a lot of wire tracing, especially since it sounds like it has been kludged. Do you have a schematic? You will need it!

Good luck and keep us posted!

Cheers, Dave

• Like 1

SE stands for Super Equipment on the Special so it had compound carburetion and a few other things. SSE is the Sedanette Super Equipment, model 46SSE. 

My 1941 Special four door sedan is a model 44SE according to the Standard Catalog of Buick.