Brake accessories

Anyone had experience in Rockey Mountain brakes on a T. I bought a T touring this past spring with a Ruxtle rear end. As I remember the T I had a few years ago the brakes were nothing to wright home about. A fellow offered me a new set of R M that he never used for $500. so I was thinking they might make a difference when at a higher speed. Anyone ever tried them out??

When I was in the Horseless Carriage Club years ago, it seems like 80% of the T owners added those. That was in San Diego where there are MANY steep hills.

You should ask this question on the MTFCA Forum.

Having said that, the likely replies will be: definitely worth doing, $500 Cdn is a very good price, essential to have some form of independent braking if you have an auxiliary transmission, and the repro Rocky Mountains are notorious for not being effective in reverse. I have a similar accessory braking system on my '24 T speedster and wouldn't be without it. 

4 hours ago, Chris Bamford said:

I have a similar accessory braking system on my '24 T speedster and wouldn't be without it. 

Chris what do you have that is similar? I also did not know that there was an original and a repro system. Is it also possible to fix the reverse problem on the new set?

I have repro AC external rear brakes. They are decent forward and reverse. Rockies are better than mine going forward, less effective in reverse. As I understand it, repro Rockies self-energize under  forward braking. It's a design difference vs the originals, I have never heard of a modification to correct for this. 

On a related note, if you are a T owner who doesn't yet frequent the MTFCA Forum, you should.