53 special ,petrol gauge problem

Pilgrim65

Afternoon guys 

when I bought my 53 special , I was informed all gauges work ,  so when I first drove her out of docks in Cyprus , checked all gauges, amps ok, oil pressure ok, fuel tank full ! , thought  ( must say thank you to those nice guys at gateway)

drove car next day to friends no problem , following day had to take to register , died on me on motorway!

thought electrical problem as tank still reading full. Everything else seemed ok so asked friend to bring petrol bingo!! Started first turn.

still reads full year on ,  I always top up  every 200 miles so no shocks since.

would love it to work correctly , as needle moves something is happening any idea folks?

cheers

pilgrim

Edited by Pilgrim65
Missing word (see edit history)

Drop the tank and inspect/replace the sending unit. It may be seized full. Also the tank was grounded by the tank straps. Run a ground wire from the sender to the frame for an extra ground. That's the easy stuff. If you still have issue, then it's the gauge itself and you'll have to pull the dash.

If the fuel line connection at the gas tank is a piece of rubber hose, then you will need a ground wire added between the tank and the body of the car.  Usually that wire is easiest to add by using one of the screws holding the sending unit to the tank and then you'll need to find a convenient ground to the body for the other end. Often this will require dropping the gas tank from the body.

And , when you do that, it will save you a lot of trouble if you remove the sending unit from the tank,  ensure you have that ground wire attached, and then have someone raise and lower the float while another watches the gas gauge for movement.  If any movement, then you will want to adjust the float by bending it to provide an empty reading when it is as low as the inside depth of your tank.

If no movement then chances are the gas gauge has lost it's own continuity in the coil of wire contained within.  This repair can be made but it may be less costly to find a replacement gauge.  Used gauges may contain the same error, so you want to be careful on selecting a replacement.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JohnD1956 said:

If any movement, then you will want to adjust the float by bending it to provide an empty reading when it is as low as the inside depth of your tank.

Personally I like to give myself a gallon or two of reserve. The gauge rarely ever goes below half full, but it's that little buffer that can go a long ways in a pinch.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Could I suggest having a 4 litre can of fuel (secured of course) in the trunk now that it is reading and letting the gauge / trip run till out of fuel to check the gauge?

Obviously your fuel pump is working fine and once you replenish the fuel, she should start back up and get you to the nearest fuelling station. Most definitely would show what empty would read now.

My gauge is currently stuck at 1/4 tank but will try the grounding wire first before dropping the tank and checking the float etc as suggested here.

She used to read accurately before sitting for some 12 years......

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Pilgrim65 said:

slowly returns to mid point from full

Some quick mental calculations can give you peace of mind.  Do this:

Fill it right till you can see the gas in the filler neck.  It won't pump out while in use.  And then run the car on a 20 mile loop back to the gas station.  Refill to the same position and then divide the results for MPG.  Then research your tank size in the manual and you'll know the following:

How many gallons equal a half tank

How far you can drive on one gallon

How accurate your odometer is.

and finally how far you can travel between fill-ups. 

I always used to run out of gas back when I got my 56. The worst time was when I had stalled on a slight upgrade exiting a local parkway and had to physically push the car up hill to get it off a blind curve.   But I have avoided that scenario for more than 30 years now by using this method and always filling when I am close to a half tank.

• Like 1

Sensible info John thanks ,

currently fill up every 200 miles as calculated should do over 300 on full tank .

like your suggestion as will give more accurate mpg .

will post results in a week or two as in Uk till next week end , Ruby resting.

cheers

pilgrim