1936 dodge regulator

Dodge Dee 2

I have recently had problems with the AMP meter suddenly dropping back to  zero whilst driving .In the past it would hover between 0 and 20 when driving and flutter about erratically presumably the voltage being regulated . I have adjusted the left hand side yellow screw ( clockwise )  in the attached photo slightly which has helped but then after driving  for a while it goes back to zero .( I only do this as I watched a mechanic do it some time back  ! )  The amp meter display seems to  working correctly  as when it was on zero for a  journey of 50 miles  I tried to start the engine and their wasn't enough power in the battery .I have also tested with voltage meter .

Has anyone got any ideas what the problem is . I have attached photos of the regulator and amp meter .My Dodge  was converted to 12V  about  10 years ago but still has a dynamo 

Thanks Farrol

IMG_2195.JPG

IMG_2434.JPG

IMG_2435.JPG

I can't really comment on the regulator repair as I am learning myself how to troubleshoot the 6V system. Fo you have a full shop manual? My '53 Windsor manual goes into great detail on how to test and set up a voltage regulator. 

I skimmed through the info. It was quite good. 

My ammeter was doing the same thing. Battery not charging either. 

A new regulator was $81 so I ordered one. 

Of course the correct regulator/generator (dynamo to Brits) wouldn't work properly with a 12 volt battery.

To charge a 12 volt battery, the charging system needs to output 13.8 volts, then drop off after the battery is charged to maybe 13.0 volts. You need to know what the two screws do. Typically one is voltage setpoint and the other is current setpoint.

Are the generator/regulator some Lucas product that was retrofitted? If so, look in Lucas repair sections of other car manuals for instructions. Maybe late 50s early 60s timeframe.

Draw clean white (lets you see dirt easier, any color will clean) paper through the contacts of the regulator.

And check the brushes in the dynamo for fit and wear. As they wear, they can cock in the holder and stop working, only to snap back into place later and work again. If taping on the dynamo makes it work, that is the usual problem.

Thanks for all your advice .

Frank - The  system was changed to 12V in the UK and the regulator is probably UK brand . I will clean the contact using white paper and get the dynamo brushes checked 

Curti -I have googled  the reference items and found some good data 

Keith - .if my checks dont succeed then a new regulator will be bought