54 55 56 Rear Coil Spring interchange

Beemon

1 hour ago, avgwarhawk said:

Are you looking for used springs?   For good new rear springs contact Springs and Things. http://www.springsnthings.com

I purchased a set of new rear springs for my 1960.  Springs plus shipping was just over $100.00.   Fit well and work great.   The springs should cost you about the same for your 56. 

DUDE!  a SET of springs plus shipping for $100??????  That's darn good pricing....  Im sure the tri five group is 4x that price!   HA HA HAHA

1 hour ago, avgwarhawk said:

I purchased a set of new rear springs for my 1960.  Springs plus shipping was just over $100.00.   Fit well and work great.   The springs should cost you about the same for your 56. 

You went with Heavy Duty springs on yours, right? Thanks for the link, everywhere else has wanted upwards of  almost $300 with shipping. I started the topic because there's some springs on Ebay, but not for 56. I don't see why they would be different, but you never know... I'll give them a call tomorrow.

• Like 2

Email the nice lady that shows on the Springs and Things page.  She responded quickly for me.  Shipped next day.   What was sent was not heavy duty.  They are progressive coils.  Explained here:

The spring is (for the most part) wound steel and is defined by its rate. Rate is a measurement of the force required to compress the spring and is expressed in lbs per inch. For instance a spring with a 100 lbs/inch rate will require 100 lbs to compress it one inch. Each subsequent inch of compression would require an additional 100lbs of force. This is referred to as a straight or linear rate spring. The alternative, is a progressive rate spring which allows a single spring to essentially exhibit multiple rates. By utilizing varied spacing spring coils, the initial rate may be 60lbs/inch, requiring 60 lbs of force to compress it one inch. Then each subsequent inch of movement would require progressively more than 60lbs of force such as 75lbs more for the second inch, 100lbs more for the third inch etc, as shown in the example. Progressive-rate springs become stiffer quicker as they are compressed. The advantage is a spring that is supple enough to soak up small bumps, yet firm enough to handle a big hit.

So, the more weight I put in the back(people) the coil will get stiffer supporting that weight and keeping the tail end off the ground.   I have them on my 54 and 60. I have used these on other cars.  The Springs and Things  is about half or a little less than other places that will send you the same progressive coil.  

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, wndsofchng06 said:

DUDE!  a SET of springs plus shipping for $100??????  That's darn good pricing....  Im sure the tri five group is 4x that price!   HA HA HAHA

Yes sir,  It was about $115.00 all told if I remember correctly.  Included shipping.  Trust me, I looked and looked.  Best price I could find.  As soon as the nice lady emailed me the price I immediately called to inquire if that was for one spring.  Nope...two and shipping included.   Your shipping my be a bit more expensive as you are further south than me.  But, still beats the cost from other places.  She was supper nice as well plus they do other suspension stuff.    

• Like 3

I found the email with cost, So yes, $100.00.  Laura...super nice  Pictured above is what I got.

Hi Chris,

The rear coils are $80 for the matched pair.  Shipping is $18.73.   They are in stock.

Laura Snyder
ESPO Springs n Things
800-903-9019 / 570-672-9413
(M-Th 9:00 AM-5:00 PM and Fri 9:00 AM - 3:00 PM Eastern)

• Like 2

I believe there might have been some mis-interpretation in the pricing post.  As stated, "a set of rear springs", not perceived to be a full set of (4) springs.

KEY thing in finding parts is to get as close as you can to the base manufacturer of the product.  There are many re-sellers that all need to fulfill their business costs and "live".

The progressive coil springs were also used on the rear suspension of many later 1960s Chevy pickups, but with the "soft" coils in the center rather than on one end.  From the factory, our '69 C-10 had a thin rubber "slit hose" around the closer-together center coils to combat contact noise.

Thanks for that link!

NTX5467

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NTX5467 said:

I believe there might have been some mis-interpretation in the pricing post.  As stated, "a set of rear springs", not perceived to be a full set of (4) springs.

$300+ for a pair of rear springs, not a full set. That's what I've found anyways. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, NTX5467 said:

KEY thing in finding parts is to get as close as you can to the base manufacturer of the product.  There are many re-sellers that all need to fulfill their business costs and "live".

The progressive coil springs were also used on the rear suspension of many later 1960s Chevy pickups, but with the "soft" coils in the center rather than on one end.  From the factory, our '69 C-10 had a thin rubber "slit hose" around the closer-together center coils to combat contact noise.

Thanks for that link!

NTX5467

Correct, just the rear springs.   Years ago MOOG made these progressive springs.  Still do I guess.  I installed many sets on the rear of GM products(I worked for Goodyear 11 years) including mine and family members cars.  For me the ride was an improvement.  The carrying capacity much better.  Handling improved.  Ride was a bit harsher though.    I recall loading people and luggage in our 78/83 Regals and the rear end squatting with the OE coils.  Yes, the ride was dream like under any other circumstances.   Get a few people in the back and things changed.  I distinctly remember my father stating to me...the shocks you brother installed did not do much but I can really feel a difference in handling with the new coils that I installed.

I do recall the springs with soft coils in the center.  For noise reduction, keep the rubber insulator up top.  Make sure the last bit of coil is parallel with the axle as it will roll with the body.  If in any other position the tip of the end of the coil tends to dig into base when the entire coil flexes.  

• Like 2

I know Moog doesn't list springs for our cars, but if you find the specifications, you can match a pair fairly easily using their spec chart: http://www.moog-suspension-parts.com/universal_coil_springs.asp

I would guess you'd want a spring rate of around 130 or so, the other specifications will vary.  Again, you would need to do some research to better interpret this data.  Those looking for a lower riding spring often go for a 67-72 Chevelle or 71-84 El Camino spring.

• Like 1

Thanks for the link.  It has a good reference on the progressive coils  

variablerate.png

Variable Rate

Moog Variable Rate coil springs can be used as an original replacement or an upgrade to carry heavier loads. The resistance changes as the spring compresses, becoming progressively stiffer as the load on the springs increase. The springs include a "comfort range" with tightly spaced coils to give a smooth ride, and include a "load range" with widely spaced coils to minimize deflection and maintain chassis height when the vehicle load increases.

• Like 1

For those wondering, springsnthings.com sells MOOG CC611 as the rear springs for a '56 Buick.  I would assume it is the same for 54 through 56 and likely others as well.

Available for $57.79 (Google for a 5% discount code) from RockAuto https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=201190 (note they use a generic picture)

Listed for:

BUICK    CENTURION    1971-1972
BUICK    ELECTRA    1971-1983
BUICK    ESTATE WAGON    1972
BUICK    LESABRE    1971-1972
CADILLAC    BROUGHAM    1987-1992
CADILLAC    DEVILLE    1977-1984
CADILLAC    FLEETWOOD    1977-1986
CHEVROLET    BEL AIR    1971-1972
CHEVROLET    BISCAYNE    1971-1972
CHEVROLET    BROOKWOOD    1972
CHEVROLET    CAPRICE    1971-1972
CHEVROLET    IMPALA    1971-1972
OLDSMOBILE    98    1971-1983
OLDSMOBILE    DELTA 88    1971-1972
OLDSMOBILE    TORONADO    1971-1978
PONTIAC    BONNEVILLE    1971-1973
PONTIAC    CATALINA    1973-1976
PONTIAC    GRANDVILLE    1971-1973
PONTIAC    PARISIENNE    1971-1973

Edited by 1956century (see edit history)
  • Like 4

FYI, RockAuto just sent me this 5% discount code, valid until July 2: 6184520055444348.  They said to "share the code with anyone you know who works on cars or trucks."  So, here ya go. ;)

Enter the code above in the "How Did You Hear About Us?" space on the checkout page (above your payment information). Do not enter any other text in that space or the discount will not apply.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 1956century said:

For those wondering, springsnthings.com sells MOOG CC611 as the rear springs for a '56 Buick.  I would assume it is the same for 54 through 56 and likely others as well.

Available for $57.79 (Google for a 5% discount code) from RockAuto https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=201190 (note they use a generic picture)

I figured the pair I got was Moog because these looked exactly what I had installed for years that were Moog.   $57.79 and some shipping(hopefully free) and done!     Yee-ha...the prices are falling! 

Edited by avgwarhawk (see edit history)

16 hours ago, Beemon said:

1956Century, good to know! There's a Moog dealer here in town. 

If you make a run to the Moog dealer ask them what the spring number is for the constant rate springs for our Buicks.  Some may not like the variable rate.  Thanks! 

13 hours ago, avgwarhawk said:

If you make a run to the Moog dealer ask them what the spring number is for the constant rate springs for our Buicks.  Some may not like the variable rate.  Thanks! 

So it turns out the dealers listed online were just corner store repair shops. Just suppliers... Anyways, I ordered a pair from Autozone for $102, which was comparable to RockAuto when factoring in shipping and tax. They'll be here tomorrow.

• Like 1

ONE thing about springs, seemingly more with coil springs, is that after they begin being "under load" for a while, they can "take a set" to their final height.  GM won't, or didn't pay, for vehicle alignments prior to the 3000 mile level as all of the suspension bushings and such were getting used to their new environment.  When I put new OEM springs under the front of my '77 Camaro, they hit the correct ride height very close.  I don't recall anything really obvious, as I didn't measure it, but it could have settled an 1/8" or so.  A variable situation, I suspect.  For good measure (and future diagnostics), after you get them installed and drive around the block a few times, with the car on a surface area that can be used later (a "constant" of sorts) to measure between the rear of the rocker panel (at a specified location) to the ground (with "no load" in the car).  Until you get all four springs replaced, these rear measurements are for comparison only as the condition of the front springs can affect those measurements, especially the side-to-side variations.

Please keep us posted!

NTX5467

There are measure points on the frame that can test the coil springs. Before I started my car, my uncle tore down the engine and put everything in the trunk. This saved the front springs but destroyed the rears as it sat for the next 30 years. When I got it back on the road, the fronts were in spec according to the shop manual but the rears... 

Anyways, I got some rear shocks to replace the air shocks in the back, too. They haven't held up very well and couldn't be happier to finally get rid of them. 

So I actually didn't go with the Autozone springs, I instead went with the NAPA springs - they're manufactured by Dana. The rear shocks also from NAPA are manufactured by Monroe. I really like how the car sits now, and I can experience that famous Buick ride (still not as good as a modern car, though :().  Hopefully I won't have to do this again for another 30 years.

18118546_10156058480920830_5123909912546

18268387_10156058481325830_7881582180572

(I did both sides on the street because it was more level than the driveway) For the record, I only dropped the socket wrench on my forehead once.

Edited by Beemon (see edit history)
  • Like 4

Man! That is rookie status. Only one socket drop to the forehead? I'd have to think up a whole bunch more excuses for my condition if it weren't for the dropped tools on my forehead deal! Looking good at the curb! I can tell you have that satisfaction with a job well done disease. Keep goin', it inspires me when I feel to tired or whatever!

On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 1:03 AM, 2carb40 said:

Man! Looking good at the curb! I can tell you have that satisfaction with a job well done disease. Keep goin', it inspires me when I feel to tired or whatever!

Disease???  Hope the CDC doesn't get wind of that!  Perhaps Mr. Earl, being nearby, can divert them to the beauty of Buick Gardens?

NTX5467