Dumb question

Ok dumb question.. What happens when you flip the map light switch.. On my 56 the map light doesn't turn on.. If I flip the such it turns on the dome light.. If I flip it back off and open the doors the map and dome light come on.. If I flip the dome light switch both the dome light and map light come on..I swore before if I flipped the map light switch the map light would come on like the manual says but now it turns on the dome light..I  have  removed the switch and sprayed it with some cleaner.. Feels great now and I get better readings.. But still no map light..

It's not like that in my 56.  Maplight switch is just the map light, no dome light.  Dome light switch is both.  I don't know how it came to be that way, since most switches are just a circuit ground, but that's the way mine works. Recheck the wiring diagram against your car. 

Got to thinking again about it.. It makes sense only if someone switched my wires..hmmm.. Yup switched them at the switch and now everything works correctly.. One last question.. Which way do you slide the switch to turn it on. I slide it towards the passenger side

On a switch of this sort, might it receive its power from the dome light switch circuit?  If the door opens, as one side of the switch is a part of the dome light circuit, when the door opens the map light lights as a test light might light to complete a circuit.  With the dome light switch open (door closed), the other side of the map light switch completes the circuit to ground and the map light only lights (with the doors closed or the headlight switch in the "dome light off" position)?

With no computerized "battery run down protection" as many modern cars have, it's imperative that the map light switch be "off" with the doors closed.

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

Edited by NTX5467 (see edit history)

This switch is interesting.. With it off.. It allows the ground to pass between the two contacts.. With the switch on.. It grounds the body of the switch through only one terminal.. Someone has switched the wires so the switches ground was going to the dome light instead of the map light