1929 sedan rear-seat foot bar question

jps

I bought a used (original) rear-seat foot bar for my sedan because it was missing when I bought the car.  I am not sure if it should be re-plated and installed that way, or re-plated and then have carpet applied along the length of the bar.  Which is correct for a Standard sedan?  My guess is that it should not have carpet.

Thanks.

John,

Are you sure that what you purchased is the correct one for your car?  If they are the 1" rod style, there is no carpet.  I see a lot of these black painted, but I would need to dig deeper to see if these were entirely nickel plated.  I know that some of the other manufacturers nickel plated these 1" brass tube footrests.  The sedans were usually an upgraded model and had nickel plated end pieces and a rectangular cross section of wood that was covered with carpet. 

Can you post a picture?    Hugh

• Like 1

The one I bought was said to be from a 1931 Buick.  They are hard to find in general, and I figured it would be close enough for me.  It definitely was plated originally, but there is evidence that someone added carpet tape or something to it at one time, and I have seen a few photos of footrests in various 20's cars where the bar is covered in carpet or cloth, so I wasn't sure what is correct for a Buick.  I still haven't seen another 29-27 in person, so I am not sure what is right.  I think there are several small details about my car that are not quite correct.

Obviously I am not a fanatic about getting it exactly right since I am putting a 1931 foot rail into a 1929 car, but I would like it to be as close to correct as I can reasonably do.

Here is what it looks like now after I cleaned it up a bit:

DSC03082.JPG

DSC03083.JPG

DSC03084.JPG

DSC03085.JPG

DSC03086.JPG

• Like 1