Fenders mystery solved? 1911 E.M.F. Roadster

Ric Dean

1900’s – 1910’s? Fenders,  I Need help identifying these, what the application Year and Model are? I’m missing one LH Rear Fender. Notice the Rear Fender is upswept.

I apologize for the photos, but the leading edge of all 3 are the same

Thanks for any help you able to make, Ric

1914 Dodge Rear LH Fender 2 700p .jpg

1914 Dodge Rear RH Fender 1 700p .jpg

1914 Dodge Rear RH Fender inside 700p .jpg

1917 Dodge frt Fenders Pair 7, 700p .jpg

Edited by Ric Dean (see edit history)

Layden B

I could not have hoped for better news the Rear Fenders are spot on. I will have to shoot better photos of the fronts and compare.

Bottom line is I think you nailed it, this gives me impetus to put a speedster together.

Thank you so much, Ric

Edited by Ric Dean
gramer (see edit history)

Fenders mystery solved? 1911 E.M.F. Roadster

... I think the mystery is solved there are different E.M.F. Autos that used Rear Fenders like mine from 1908 - 1911. I’m submitting a Factory Rendering of a 1911 E.M.F. Roadster that clinches it, unless someone else has suggestions?

Thank you for the great help, Ric

EMF 1911 Roadster crop 600p .jpg

While the fenders have the same general shape as the ones on my 1910 EMF, my rear fender braces attach to the bottom of the spring u-bolt, not to the side of the frame, as shown in your photo. Also, the rear braces on mine are butterfly type, not a single like yours...

Close, but no cigar...

Frank

Edited by oldford (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Frank

… Thanks for your input could you post a photo of your EMF to this thread. In the 3-4 years these cars were manufactured I have found via the web 3 different Fenders on the E.M.F. Autos. As you probably know they also made cars under the name Flanders and E.M.F. used different style Fenders intermittently between diff models and years. I Also have found an Atlas Touring Automobile that has the same style Fenders.

Obliged, Ric

Edited by Ric Dean (see edit history)

Actually EMF was produced for 4 years 1909-1912 under their own name and with some modifications in 1913 as the Model AA35 Studebaker.

The EMF parts book put out by Studebaker for all the EMF cars pictures 4 different part numbers for each front fender. It shows 2 very different rear fenders, long ones for for the roadster with 2 mounting brackets and 2 part numbers, shorter ones ( as in pictures above) with 6 different part numbers for the other body types. The parts list shows even more part numbers for fenders. All very confusing! This would lead you to think they changed the fender even if very slightly for each year OR perhaps they renumbered each part evey year and many of the numbers are actually the same part carried over to the next year.

Just to muddy the waters....Here is a Studebaker radiator.

-3.jpg

-5.jpg

• Like 1

Layden B

… Thank you for time here you put me on the right track, you are obviously knowledgeable on the EMF Cars. I was seeing double when viewing all the online Fender examples of EMF cars, now I know why. Maybe the reason EMF made so many applications was to increase inventory Dealers had to keep on hand.

… As for long & short I can’t see the difference between the Roadster and Touring do you know of any measurements available? I am posting a factory rendering of the Roadster and Touring.

Thanks again! Ric

EMF 1911 Touring + Roadster 600p .jpg

The parts book I have lists in the Introduction the body styles as these but does not indicate years of manufacture:
Fore Door Touring Car

Detachable Demi Tonneau

Roadster

Runabout

Demi Tonneau

Open Touring Car

In the parts list they also indicate Coupe.

Will venture a guess that this is a 1912 Roadster ( but then it does not have 1912 wheels!):

sp12011197.jpg

Edited by Layden B (see edit history)
  • Like 1

… I found these 1911 EMF white Roadster photos online. The rear shot of the RH Fender has a good view of the underside including the hardware and brackets. All of it looks exactly like the ones on my back Fender.

EMF1911Roadstr JohnSmith back 622p.png

EMF1911Roadstr JohnSmith LHback crop 600p.png