carter 419S carburetor rebuild

Roger7

Hey-thinking of rebuilding carter 419s for '39 Special, has anyone done that?  i've re-built carbs before, and most of them worked good later,

but, going thru the manual it seems fairly complex. "special" tools listed, lots of adjustments w/ special adjusting guages...etc.

this is my friends buick and he's coming up tomorrow to do a few things on it and maybe rebuilding the carb,  i dont have the kit right in front of me,

so might seem easier looking at the kit and  instructions. Any tips or advice would be appreciated. the car's running rich at this point. thanks for any help..

Special tool Carter number T109-113 is REQUIRED! Don't try the rebuild without it!

Some other specials nice to have, but can be replaced with other items in your tool box and common sense (example, the special float level tool can be replaced with a drill bit of the correct size).

You might find this document useful: http://www.thecarburetorshop.com/Service_Carter_WD-0_1939.pdf

If running rich, check the ignition system and fuel pressure before throwing rocks at the carburetor.

Jon.

Edited by carbking (see edit history)

thanks carbking for the info, i'll have to look into getting T109-113. The link you provided is very helpful

and a little easier to get a handle on whats involved. We're planning on putting in electronic ignition (replacing points,

wires and cap) which may help burn fuel more cleanly. i'll check fuel pump pressure, but just guessing it seems it would have

to be too high to make it run rich, but maybe not, or maybe it is too high. will also check choke not sticking etc.

i think i'd need more than an afternoon to do it properly, take alot of good pictures and be systematic about what parts go where.

hopefully ignition work will improve performance and i can avoid carb rebuild.

One other thing we're doing is replacing valve cover gasket which is leaking. strange though because it was replaced recently.

does anyone know how tight (torque) the 2 nuts that hold valve cover should be? its possible cover is slighly warped and i may need

to use a little gasket sealer of some kind to keep it from leaking. Well thanks for the tips, and we'll see what tomorrow brings...

Roger - will not try to talk you out of the electronic ignition; however DO NOT THROW AWAY THE REPLACED PARTS!!!  ;)  And I would highly suggest that anytime you add an electronic ignition to a vehicle with a generator that you replace the generator with an alternator! There is a huge difference between the voltage stability of a generator vis a vis an alternator; and electronics like stable voltage!

Just for the record, I have "fixed" dozens of "carburetor problems" on older cars just by connecting a battery jumper cable from the ground terminal of the battery to an engine head bolt! Think about it.

Jon.

Edited by carbking (see edit history)
  • Like 1

thanks for the replies. was 3/4 thru elec ignition stuff when we got your post. decided to

finish up+ see how she ran. Good! took a test run, starting easier, maybe more power.

Joe the owner was aware of recommendation for carbon fiber wires, but the supplier he

got them from said basically it didnt make a difference. we'll probably change them over

and also will be getting the alternator, which he was thinking of because of light dimming

sometimes under certain conditions-definitely getting that.

didnt get the jumper cable on yet- thats in addition to regular ground strap? we'll be at it

again soon to check valve adjustment, gasket( looking closely looks like someone overtightened

the 2 cover nuts) having a problem with one of the kingpins also- i'll post another thread.

carb looked good,choke functioning properly. strong believer in-if it aint broke dont fix it.

may need some adjustments, but in mean time he can drive it a bit and see how it is.

I shall return with updates- appreciate the good info, cars this old are a little new to me..

Roger - if you have a good ground cable of sufficient electrical capacity, then the jumper cable is unnecessary. It was just a method of making a point that often grounds are poorly done. A 6 volt system needs the old style woven ground strap, NOT the #2 insulated cable often sold in FLAPS.

I personally like a good ground to the body, and an additional ground to the engine block.

Poor ground will translate to low voltage. Low voltage will translate to poor ignition. The lights dimming may be trying to tell you something (unless someone installed a Lucas light switch) :P ;)

Jon.

• Like 2

I hear you on the ground strap. usually isnt paid attention to enough. the car has a nice braided one +good connection at block.

Not sure what a Lucas light switch is, there is a tailight arrangement, that works but not original, installed by someone else.

directional lever on column, upper outer lights for directionals and running lights, lower aftermarket prob, wired as brake lights.

Body ground would probably help, generator was chkd and ok i i was told.(just told on phone there has been a problem with the switch-original-

i'll check it next time..

the car blows blackish smoke on start-up, (and some blue) and leaves wet residue, seems to be better now, and less since last time i saw it.

smoke went away for most part after warm-up. got a valve guide question but should prob should post it separately, not sure. compression was not too hot

couple weeks ago, but needed +got oil change. my guage is kinda old so still haven't double checked it on another car, but reading was pretty much 70ish

couple 65. know thats low, but better check guage. car has good power and Joe's happy driving it, just want to get it as good as it could be and put off

the major work till later on. i'll check back later- everybody have a good day!

Lucas-supplier of electrical devices to the British car industry, and known for why British cars have electrical problems.:D

Hence the old joke

Why do the British drink warm beer?

Lucas refrigerators.

A book could be written (if one has not already been written) of various anecdotes concerning Lucas reliability. My alltime favorite is "Lucas - inventor of the three position light switch........off....on.....flicker". Hence my comment in an earlier post in this thread.

Jon.