40 Buick VIN number

The Old Guy

VIN's as we know them today did not start until the mid 1950's and there was no common standard until 1981

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VIN

Your car will have the chassis/frame number and engine serial number.

1940 chassis/frame numbers stated at 3596807

Not necessarily, if it got a replacement engine from a different year then, to someone who knew it, it would be "wrong."   However the people processing titles have no idea what numbers are what from these cars.  If it was replaced by another 1940 engine then you are fine.  The engine and chassis numbers weren't the same.

Did you find a number for your '40? Some states using engine numbers, which was very typical before the VIN system became the norm, would update the title to match a replacement engine. I've personally done this in the state of Kansas, in the 1970s, for a 1940 Limited. Had to present the existing title along with a bill of sale for the replacement engine installed in the car. Probably can't do that anymore, but at one time titles could be made to match this way.

On 4/16/2017 at 8:16 AM, The Old Guy said:

I have owned my 40 Super cinvertible  for 45 years , and now my son is going to take it ,and we can't find the VIN number. Does anyone know where to look ?????

Thank you 

Joe Taubitz 

pS my E-mail is buickjoet@ahc123.net

Your VIN number, if still attached is on top of the passenger frame rail next to and right inside of the spot where the brace for the front cowl is bolted to the frame. That is where my 40 Super cpe and Cnvrt cpe have the rectangular light metal tab with the number stamped in and its riveted with two rivets. Problem is, all that's required to remove it is light tapping on the rivets from underneath. So hopefully it's still there. Thank you, by the way for the help with info when I've contacted, especially about the replacement engine issue you so successfully addressed for all of us in the Buick club with replacement engines from that Buick RE.....#  program!

Best Regards, Greg