1941 dodge Luxery Liner

trishabig

Again , thanks , Mike. I am very old fashioned , and enjoy in person shopping , do not depend on my iPad as much as I really should. You have given me valuable encouragement to become more modern. I will be using this tool you came up with. Arranged in order of price , with very comprehensive specs , you just can't go wrong here. I have to get going , running late. I looked at tread pattern at the  low and high priced end. This for more period correct appearance, noise , and steering tread. Lowest priced at $331 is the MILESTAR STEELPRO MS597. At the top : $693 , MAXIS BRAVO SERIES UE (N) ; $702 , BRIDGESTONE  DURAVIS R250 ; $876 , MICHELIN LTX M/S 2.  Really gotta go out now , but I will get back to it , and you can bet your ears I will have more to say.  - Carl

C Carl,

Thanks for the kind words. I remember our earlier conversation regarding tires. These tires are a Load Range E so the Max. Pressure Rating is 80 PSI which, I think, would make them fairly versatile for a lot of different vintage vehicles.

Greg

GregLaR

Ive been pricing the tires you suggested. The price varies depending on the maker of the tire. You purchased Gladiators but i cant seem to find that brand where i live in Canada.

i have been looking at all season and summer as you also mentioned not to get an aggressive tire. Does it matter what brand? To some that might be a silly question but i can put in gas. check the oil and drive lol. Also its a fluid drive so driving may be a bit tricky.

Edited by trishabig (see edit history)

Trisha,

At the lower speeds this car will be driven and probably a lot less miles per year than your daily driver, brand is really not that important at all.

Trisha if you are not familiar with Fluid Drive suggest you go to the Chrysler board and do a search for Fluid Drive. There is lots of information about them.

In your case, I believe you have the regular 3 speed not the self shifting transmission. So it will not shift itself.

What you have is a cross between a manual and automatic transmission. You need to use the clutch to shift into gear, after that drive it like an automatic. You do not need to slip the clutch, in fact the less you slip the clutch the better. Let the Fluid Drive do the work.

Most of the time it is best to start off in second gear, shift into high once you get going 5 or 10 MPH then just stay in high. You can even start off in high but it will be pretty sluggish. In stop and go traffic you can leave it in second.

The make of tire does not matter much. Whatever tire you get, will be way better than anything they had in 1941. You are right to look for the least aggressive looking tread.

Something you may not be aware of is that older cars need a lot more maintenance than new ones. I am talking about things like oil changes, lubrication, tune ups and adjustments. Do you have a friend or mechanic who is familiar with the old cars? The maintenance schedule is laid out in the owner's manual. Cars like yours were quite reliable when new but that was a long time ago. They can still be reliable if well maintained.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

Rusty_OTool

I have a brother who is a mechanic.When i had it tilt and loaded to where i live a year and a half ago my brother took out the plugs and i don't know what he poured down them he let it sit a day.He put in new plugs ran a hose into a gas can (not sure when it ran last about 10 years prior) and what the gas tank was like or the gas in it.He had me pour some gas down the carb as he turned it over from a Tim Horton's cup and after about 3 rolls she fired right up, It smoked a bit at first then cleared up. My brother couldn't believe how good it sounded. Ran it about 45 min.

We later found out my brother in-law had rebuilt the motor and it has about 500 miles on it. We had to rebuild the master cylinder, peddle went to floor and wouldn't come back up. He says we have to change all the fluids next.I live off a tight budget so baby steps. I don't take advantage of my brother and don't expect him to work for free.Took off the gas tank and it was rusty inside so sent it to Toronto to be reconditioned $300.00 pick it up this week. I will have it on the road this summer. The good thing is i have lots of spare parts. There was another one stripped down for parts so i have another transmission. I will take your advise and research it . i drive a 5 speed now. The 1941 shop manual was in the car so that is another bonus.Also my brother in-law was a mechanic and owned the car for 50 years before he passed away so he kept it up. The reason it needs new tire was it was in a garage and sat for quite some time. The tires had gone flat and it was sitting on the rims for a long time because they were full of cracks.

Edited by trishabig (see edit history)

The Gladiator in that particular size seems out of stock only temporarily on this website for online retail. Here's a couple others to consider:

Hankook, a brand often used on delivery trucks, known to be good but less expensive than Goodyear, Firestone, etc. 

https://www.tires-easy.com/brands/hankook-tires/dynapro-ht-rh12?code=2001832

And Kumho - https://www.tires-easy.com/brands/kumho-tires/road-venture-apt-kl51?code=2103043

Tread seems to look appropriate for street use meaning they should ride quiet. Should be about $500 to $580 for all four including shipping.

Edited by mike6024 (see edit history)

Looks like the jury has reached a verdict ! After putting in another 2 hours diligently scouring Mike's source , I came to the conclusion that the winner for YOU in YOUR position is : at $409 after $60 rebate , HANKOOK DYNAPRO HT RH 12 !  And then came back to the forum and saw my forum brothers also have run and like "Kookies" for performance and value. Please click on the first link provided by Mike above in posting #48. I think when you get this much agreement on the wonderful AACA forums , you can go to the bank on it ! (Ha , ha , RIGHT , guys ?) These tires are on the narrower side of the chart , which will look best on your car. They will steer very well , and be quiet. A large percentage of noise is generated by the level of "aggressiveness" of the edge of the tread , the shoulder region. These tires are very "gentle" in that regard. Steering depends on the straight parallel uninterrupted "grooves" going all the way around the tire. Check. Seriously , from everything ALL the guys have been leading up to here , I think you will be extremely happy with these tires. You are good to go , and HANKOOK is a deservedly popular tire which should have easy availability for you. In the next few days , I will write up more observations for the general forum use. A couple tires I found on Mike's list have a very nice "retro" looking tread , with very quiet and great steering characteristics. I will also tell you what MY pick is for MY purposes. Hint : Tale a closer look at the pic I posted of the tire on my Eldo. But , Trisha , since you don't want to be frivolous with your hard earned loonies , spare yourself the extravagance !  I hope our gang has been of some help. A truely great bunch here.   - Carl

I thought you might want to see an example of an ultimate "steer tire". Zoom in on the tread. To the extent that a tire incorporates elements of this design , will depend on the steering quality. Take a look at the front tires on some of the big rigs next time you are hanging around the truck stop or marshaling yard. Compare the tread with that of the drive tires. Oh , and if you are curious , this is my oldest Cadillac. It is a 1924. An original , unrestored 1924 7 passenger touring. Even the top and headliner are original. Unfortunately it was repainted many years before I got it , and I have had it for almost 30 years. Well , at least they painted it in original colors. Since the wheels had been repainted too , I got to have my way with them.  See ? See how the old car chatter goes ? And now you are having fun explaining YOUR car ! Now you are a "Car Girl" ! As you meet more old car people , you will see that they are the friendliest folk around. We all depend on each other for information and for sourcing parts and service. And if those guys you hire to mount your "Kookies" try to tell you your rims are too narrow, get your brother to convince them that is absolute rot. Tell them you heard that from  - Cadillac Carl

image.jpeg

Edited by C Carl
Add picture for clarity (see edit history)
  • Like 1