top insert,29 DA sedan

dodgerod

I hope some more experienced guys chime in. But in the meantime, I think Dodge used a removable insert that was added after the body was painted. The other way to do it is to build it right on the car, some makes did it that way.

First they would stretch poultry wire over the hole. Like chicken wire but finer. Cover that with cotton padding. Then plain white muslin. With the muslin on they could adjust the padding with long needles, push it around until they had a smooth slightly rounded top.

Then put on the top material which resembles a vinyl top. Last step is to seal around the seam and put in a molding.

In the case of the Dodge if I am correct the insert could be 'built' off the car then set in place.

Installing sedan decking is always a challenge for this era automobile. Rusty has a point, it could be an already prepared panel with blind fasteners like blind nuts in bedded into the panel and covered with the layers of material. One challenge in this is getting a panel to be long and wide enough. The hot rod folks perform this method, but admittedly their insert is much smaller and more manageable.

The other option is like Rusty mentioned is to build it up one layer at a time. The critical step is how to seal the outer edge to the body. The last thing you want is to get caught in a rain storm and have water run down into the interior panels and water stain the fabric. These pics show a build up using wire mesh and padding layers. The final covering was secured using stainless staples and a bead of 3M 5200 (a marine grade sealant). Pay attention to the side to side crown, (1/8 to 3/16) height, looks like front to back is already formed). In this example, a wood border was available to staple into. Your situation will be unique.

Dscn7241A.jpg

Img_2317A.jpg

Img_2325A.jpg

Img_2335A.jpg

• Like 1

Have a look at the restoration forum to see how I did the insert on my 1930 DeSoto CK.. Once the insert is finished, I used black marine sealant and fastened the whole thing down from the inside of the car. Perfect seal.

Rick VanOene

Thanks very much Rick, enjoyed your storey, I too have a long storey I'll share when my car is complete, I live east of edmonton alberta, there are still lots of old carcues in the woods and fields around here.

would love to see your car someday.

Todd foster