differences

How can you tell a 1915 Ford Model T touring  body from a 1916? I owned an early T for over 20 years and the wife would never get in it for the lack of doors. So I sold it one day and have regretted it ever since. A 15 has come up but I am told they switch the 16 title to a 15 being more desirable. Every thing looks correct with the motor stamp indicates Oct. 15. but not sure of the body. It is an older restoration. Yes it is a made in USA 3 door and not Canadian 4 door.  

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)

Joe, One thing is the wheels, they went to a square fellow in 16 and were rounded over in 15. The bodies were the same I believe...except... in  late 16 or 17 the floor board is punched just below the drivers seat riser in the metal portion for the starter button, you could check that.

Ford didn't offer a starter until 1919 and if there's a hole for the button it would definitely not be any earlier than that.

i had a 15 runabout that had a body number stamped in the wood framing under the front seat that started with the date 315... which was March of 15. If the car you are looking at does not have this try to post this question on the MTFCA forum and  you will find answers there

1915 and 1916 bodies are just about identical.

However, many 1919 through 1921 cars have been made to look like1915 cars.  The easiest way to spot these is to look inside the cowl, above the coil box. The horizontal piece of metal there should go straight across. If it actually a later car, there will be a half circle cutout for the later radiator brace rod.

The rear for 1915 was a one-year-only design. It has the cast iron center like later rears, but doesn't have the reinforcing ribs on the backing plates. But the reinforcing ribs were added in October 1915. So the car you are looking at may or may not have them.

Many original 1915 and earlier cars had their wheels changed to demountable rims back when they were still in service. Sometimes wheels got loose and were replaced by later non-demountable wheels. So don't be put off if it has later wheels.

You've checked the engine serial number. While it was a common practice to replace engines, if it has an engine with a 1915 serial number, it is worth a bit more.

If it has a "real" 1915/1916 body, correct engine and rear, then odds are its the real thing.

Edited by 1940_Buick (see edit history)