buick brake pump

finzel

I posted in the other thread also.

If you put 12V and ground on the motor contacts and the motor just clicked, your pump motor is bad.  I have tested good working used pump/motors available.

I would not convert to non ABS as changing the pump/motor is a far easier job and since you already have a new accumulator you should be good for a long time.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Jim said:

I posted in the other thread also.

If you put 12V and ground on the motor contacts and the motor just clicked, your pump motor is bad.  I have tested good working used pump/motors available.

I would not convert to non ABS as changing the pump/motor is a far easier job and since you already have a new accumulator you should be good for a long time.

• Like 1

Finzel, Jim said Good Used Pumps and Motors. I purchased Pump and Motor from Jim about 2 years ago, I have not have had any problems with what I got. If you get one from Jim, ask if it has the pressure switch on it, if not you will need to remove the one from you current unit. Removing the pressure switch can be hard. 

• Like 1

I sell good used pressure switches separate from good used pump/motors.

just a side note, 

I always test my pumps, accumulators and pressure switches on my personal car but the last year or so I have been taking exchanges on my pump/motors as sometimes the motors go bad and sometimes the pumps go bad. I can combine good pumps with good motors.

Yesterday I made a bench test setup for testing pressure switches and pumps and motors. I wired up the whole assembly and added a red low pressure light and a high pressure light to make sure the pressure switches worked in all functions.

After building up the 2600 pounds of pressure I knew I needed a way to release that pressure since the test set up is not connected to a master cylinder. I put a ball valve on the line coming out of the pump that normally goes to the master cylinder and after a successful test of the motor, pump and switch I proceeded to release the pressure and in doing so the high pressure blasted out  not only from the output of the ball valve but from both side of where the handle turns the ball. I got a good spray of brake fluid all over me and everything else.

I guess i have to find a better way of relieving the pressure. :)

finzel

I received your email and you had my email address correct and it appeared your email address   xxxxx@charter.net was good but in trying two times it bounced back to me with reference to xxxlloyd@aol.com

I don't understand at all.

Jim

You need a high pressure needle valve for pressure relief to be able to cycle to the pump. There isn't much volume so a very small valve will work fine and the needle type allows fine control. The packing nut may need to be tightened beyond the stock level. Also, be sure to install the valve so the packing and stem isn't under pressure at all times, it needs to be on the downstream side. I have a rig I made for testing on the car and it dumps back to the reservoir but I can't find my pic right now.

Nothing wrong with a relief valve but it is much larger, and more expensive than needed. For Jim's purpose a bleed off valve that is manually adjustable is all he needs. Easy to use, after pressure comes up and turns off the pump, just crack the valve and let the pressure bleed down to where the pump kicks on again. It can be left cracked open to let the system cycle on and off. A 1/4" npt size is all that is needed. A high pressure tee would be a good idea too. Something more like these:

https://www.mcmaster.com/#flow-control-needle-valves/=16on8hm

Nothing wrong with a relief valve but it is much larger, and more expensive than needed. For Jim's purpose a bleed off valve that is manually adjustable is all he needs. Easy to use, after pressure comes up and turns off the pump, just crack the valve and let the pressure bleed down to where the pump kicks on again. It can be left cracked open to let the system cycle on and off. A 1/4" npt size is all that is needed. A high pressure tee would be a good idea too. Something more like these:

Perhaps I do not understand Jim's setup as mine is for use on the car? What I suggested is like this pic. $25.56 + shipping. I only used Mcmaster for an example and I would guess similar could be had for less elsewhere.

.025 npt needle valve.png

• Like 1

I don't think any part of the brake system would be happy with any sort of petroleum product, or silicone for that matter on the Teves system. I would only recommend running fresh brake fluid through the system. I had heard some time ago about fluid available in different colors to be able to see when the flush was complete, but I never looked in to that. JMHO

• Like 1