I need a hub puller

Dave Young

14 hours ago, timecapsule said:

Very nice collection.  Do you happen to know which cars any of them fit?

I've owned several of these over the years and they are usually stamped with 5 digits (11074 but not always). These are the 2 1/2" x 16TPI that Fordy needed.

image.png.efb46b542c45914ebe510769d950dc93.png

image.png.6321a4a378929e0a2bf13834b2675445.png

You can also add 1929-32 Dodge Brothers 3/4 ton and possibly other years of 3/4 ton DB trucks.

Don't know about the other ones in the photo, but I'm sure guys on here can I.D. them if you need them to.

• Like 1

For what it's worth there are dozens if not hundreds of these on sale at Hershey every year.  I have a 1928 Chrysler and I bought 2 last year for $15 and $5 each.  Not convenient now of course but worthwhile for future reference.  Bring a ruler and thread gauge because those measurements are very important.

The SAE standard fine thread for all diameters over 1" was 16TPI so virtually all hubcaps with have that thread. The actual diameter of the hub is the critical element. In order to measure a hub puller you need the double depth of thread for 16TPI...that should be the inside diameter of the puller.  The number for 16TPI is .0625 (1 divided by 16)...so diameter of the hub less .0625 should get you very close. This isn't foolproof because there were different threading tolerances and wear to contend with and it's impossible (for me at least) to know what each car manufacturer used. If, for instance, the hub is 1.75" in diameter you want 1.75 - .0625 = 1.6875. This should be very close...but you'll need a vernier caliper ... a ruler is nowhere near accurate enough.

• Like 1