1941 Buick jack replacement

Den41Buick

I am looking for a "replacement jack" for my 41 Buick. If I should ever need a jack on the roadside, what is recommended? I have used a bottle jack in the garage, but because of the frame design, it does not work great. I often have to use 2 jacks with one on a block of wood to meet the height requirement. Any suggestions? I would assume I need at least a 3 ton capacity. Thanks

Back in the '60's when I worked in a Morris Minor garage, we used to go to the junk (salvage) yard and look for Buick scissors jacks, as they could lift anything.

Now they make cheap copies from China, and sell them at Harbor Freight.

Mike in Colorado

I have my original jack under the rear seat where it will never leave. In the trunk I carry a scissors type jack which packs up nicely into a small period style tool box. Also good to have a spoon type tire tool and a wood shim to pop off the hubcap without munging the paint and a nice long breaker bar and socket from Sears for the lug nuts in case you hate the original lug wrench as much as me... Hope to never need any of it but am ready to make it as easy as possible. A giant can of tire sealer/inflater is also a lovely thing in bad weather or darkness. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...