Steering box rebuild on 1939 LZ

39Zephyr

V12 Friends,

How does one go about removing the steering box assembly/steering column on a '39 LZ sedan?  Does the box separate from the steering column?  Looks like we've got a leaky seal on this unit.  When doing a '33 Ford, we pulled the entire unit up through the firewall into the car and out the top.  This '39 Zephyr steering box looks a lot more massive/substantial.  Had Lares Mfg in Minnesota repair the '33 and they did a good job.  No more leaks etc.  Does the '39 have a cork seal?  Is this something we can do ourselves or do we need special tools?  

Is there anyone out there who sells the correct copper-plated steel gas line (from tank to flexible fuel line on firewall)?  Also wondering how to handle the rusty exhaust pipe "heat exchanger" that worked with the hot air heater on this car.  Does someone make a replacement unit or is there some other fix out there?  

Thanks in advance!

Wayne and Christopher

You can replace the seal by removing the top plate on s/box and lift sector shaft up  and out after removing bottom steering arm. Don't loose any shims. Place container  underneath to catch any oil. Measure housing opening for OD of seal, take sector shaft to seal supplier, get lip type spring loaded seal, tap into s/box housing with lip facing up. I use diff. oil in my 38  s/box.
The box will unbolt from frame, drop to floor after removing steering wheel,[ nut under horn button], wire at bottom, tap  s/wheel off with small heavy hammer and block of wood or puller and remove dash bracket bolts on column and clamp at box and slide tubing up. Steering column shaft can be pulled out of box by removing top bearing plate bolts, You may have to drop s/box into floor pit or raise front of car or if convertible put top down to remove column sleeve in place.
  I had a sheet metal man make me a new "heat exchanger"  a simple tube one. Works ok.

The steel copper plated gas line can be sourced from one the vendors here, listed in sources.  You can also find the replacement heat exchangers on eBay in steel or stainless, priced accordingly.  If your heat exchanger is rusted out at the end or ends, a sheet metal guy could make new ends for you, but if I remember correctly the steels one on eBay is not that expensive.

Tom

Roy Nacewicz and Narragansett Reproductions both sell the original type fuel line. There are other vendors that sell a steel line that is copper plated on the outside, these rust from the inside in a shorter time than the ones that are done like the original ones.

http://www.narragansettreproductions.com/wiring-harness.html

http://www.fordscript.com/

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Gents for your direction on the steering box issues.  Did check to see if there was any fluid left in box...more there than I thought so maybe there isn't a seal problem as we suspected.  Is "corn head" grease 600W Ken?  Found the gas line at Narragansett.  Thanks again for your help!