1956 Exhaust Header

ghaskett

The ports are different from 322. The 264/322 are round ports and the 364/401/425 are square. You would have to find some header flanges and make your own or modify existing but cutting the flange off and adding a 322 flange. If you have single exhaust, find a driver side dual exhaust manifold and move the driver side single exhaust to the passenger side. Pretty much all we have for "original" headers. The driver single exhaust and driver dual exhaust manifolds are like traditional Y pipe headers together and you eliminate the bulky thermostatic controller on the stock passenger side exhaust manifold.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Beemon said:

The ports are different from 322. The 264/322 are round ports and the 364/401/425 are square. You would have to find some header flanges and make your own or modify existing but cutting the flange off and adding a 322 flange. If you have single exhaust, find a driver side dual exhaust manifold and move the driver side single exhaust to the passenger side. Pretty much all we have for "original" headers. The driver single exhaust and driver dual exhaust manifolds are like traditional Y pipe headers together and you eliminate the bulky thermostatic controller on the stock passenger side exhaust manifold.

Thanks. Actually I have a 401 in my 56. I put driver side header from 59-60 engine on and it fits fine, with the exception that it is right up to the steering box and the heat could affect the box seals. The stock 65 Riviera exhaust won't work in the 56 because its outlet flange would end up somewhere inside the dash. The '65 Riviera passenger side header fits just fine. A young friend got around the driver side issue by simply whacking out the stock 56 crossmember and putting in a complete Jaguar IFS with discs, modern ball joints and rack and pinion. I'd have him do it to mine, but he's in law school for the time being.

Sorry for the confusion! I've only ever seen two types of headers for the late Nailhead, block huggers and rear exit. I think a rear exit header would maybe fit but I'm not sure what you're currently running. Best of luck to you, sorry for the useless information (may help future 322 guys, tho :P).

18 minutes ago, Beemon said:

Sorry for the confusion! I've only ever seen two types of headers for the late Nailhead, block huggers and rear exit. I think a rear exit header would maybe fit but I'm not sure what you're currently running. Best of luck to you, sorry for the useless information (may help future 322 guys, tho :P).

No worries and no confusion. I appreciate the input. I especially like your take on welding her up. I'm looking into it. Thanks again.

9 hours ago, ghaskett said:

. I put driver side header from 59-60 engine on and it fits fine, with the exception that it is right up to the steering box and the heat could affect the box seals.

Some coatings claim to reduce surface temperatures (ceramic?).

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ghaskett said:

Anyone here ever stuff a 401/425 into a '56 Special. If so, what driver side exhaust header did you use to clear the steering box?
Thanks.

A good custom shop can do this with ease.  I once stuffed a 390 FE (ford) into a 46 chevy...    They took the header meant for the 390, bolted it in, then went to it with a dremel, once they cut the parts that were interfering they bent and welded in new tubing.  Took them about 3 hours,  cost me $200, but I had headers, and they didn't burn up the steering!  Unfortunately when one starts putting bigger than original engines in cars, it either takes lots of talent , lots of money, or some combo of the two...

• Like 4