sealer for acrylic lacquer ?

Kestrel

Does anyone know of a source for a sealer that is compatible for use over traditional lacquer primer (or any lacquer substrate) AND compatible with a top coat of acrylic lacquer ? I'm re-painting sections of my '32 Chevy with some old leftover DuPont's acrylic lacquer and just laid down 2-3 coats of SEMs DTM high build primer surfacer. I've read a sealer really helps improve color hold out and uniformity.  Before I go ahead and top coat, I thought I'd ask around.

I suspect most people today use a 2K primer first over the bare metal ?  I'm trying hard to keep it simple. Thank guys !

Thanks J. The only sealers I've found are alkyd oil based enamels (Rustoleum primer sealer) or other non-lacquer based products. I'll probably just go directly with the lacquer topcoat like you suggested. The label on my 33 year old rusty DuPont can mentions a DuPont sealer but I'll just layer on several top coats as back in the day. My auto painting experience is limited so I'm going slow. This whole activity is very confusing for non-professionals with all the modern paint/primer choices out there. :unsure: 

I've poked around on the internet for any sources for Velvaseal with no luck, so far.  It sure sounds like what I was looking for. I read many positive things about Velvaseal on different forums tonight. I'll keep searching.  Appreciate the information ! 

Back in the day I used X-I-M with good success, it made the paint go on smoother and less prone to runs. Also sealed the surface and promoted adhesion. I see it is still available, but no doubt they changed the formula over the last 40 years.

http://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/xim/bonders

You could try it first on a small test piece and see what happens.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

I give the XIM  a try. I see it comes in an aerosol too. It's  another lesson in patience staying with the old paint systems. I heard there's only about a year left before the manufacturers won't even make acrylic lacquer anymore. 

Thanks Rusty !