Adding power door locks to a first gen Riviera

KongaMan

About 15 years ago I bought a power door lock kit from Bulldog Security to add electric locks to the 64.  It had a couple of actuators that clip to the lock posts in the doors.  The actuators are wired to each other and the battery.  When a post went up or down, it triggered the actuator on the other door to do the same.  Lock one door, they both lock.  Unlock one, the other unlocks as well.  That was the theory, anyway.

In practice, it worked for about a day and a half.  One door would work, but not the other.  It worked to lock, but not to unlock.  Etc., etc.  I'd pull the door skin off, adjust the clamps, test it, and they would work for another little while.  I was eventually driving around with the door skins held on by clothespins so I could remove them more quickly.  I never could figure out what was going wrong, as the clamps didn't seem to be slipping or anything.

I finally punted the whole idea, and now I've got a completely non-functional system in the car.  Which is too bad, because there are a lot of conversion kits and roll-your-own parts out there that all seem to work just like the one that I bought.  The theory is simple enough, and the installation not particularly challenging.  Note: most the systems seem to have a master 5-wire actuator (presumably for the driver's door) and a bunch of slave 2-wire actuators for the other doors. It's not clear that these systems work the same as mine; unlocking the passenger door might not unlock the drivers door (but I don't know that for sure).

So...  The purpose is not to complain about the particular system I bought (which they don't sell anymore; I wonder why?), but to ask if anyone else has ever done this and if there is a recommendation or two for a system that actually works reliably and can use either door to trigger the other.

Anyone?

I'm just getting ready to take this on myself. I bought actuators from chevy trucks at the local junkyard. Also got some Cadillac switches. I plan on using relays with them and the windows too.

Did yours have brackets? Do you have pics? I've worked out where I want them, but haven't made them yet.

Mine is a low-rent system.  IIRC, it isn't compatible with remote openers, etc.  That is, it's strictly mechanical: if one knob goes up, both doors unlock.  If one knob goes down, both doors lock.  There are no switches.  If you're sitting in the driver's seat and want to unlock the passenger door, you can reach over like you've always done, reach back and pull your lock knob up, or pull up on your door handle.

If you wanted to add a switch, I always thought the best way to do it would be to get the armrest controls from a car with power vents (assuming your car doesn't have power vents) and repurpose the vent switches to control the locks.  IIRC, I gave up on that idea when I couldn't find the armrest pieces for what I considered to be a reasonable price for such a frivolous purpose.

I don't have any pictures and its been years since I looked at it.  IIRC, there's a rod that comes out of the actuator that you clamp to the shaft that goes between the lock and the knob.  I don't remember exactly how I attached the actuators to the door (I assume I drilled a couple of holes), but I do remember that it didn't take very long to do.  The worst part was feeding the wire from one door to the other.  The only other electrical connection involved tapping the battery feed at the fuse box.

Edited by KongaMan (see edit history)

Ah, ok, I understand better now. That's an unusual system, I've never heard of anything like that. The kits I've seen have a piece that looks like cable lock, so you attach your new actuator rod beside the existing one. They also appear to use a version of the GM actuator.

I've seen remotes that will work with factory power locks, I'm hoping to piece together something that works. I plan on cutting my armrest plates, and adding switches. Mine are a little rough, so I won't regret cutting into them. I just have to figure out a way to hold the switches in place.

13 hours ago, telriv said:

I've had MANY problems with the cheapo China actuators. It's getting harder & harder to get quality parts. Most all of the kits have junk China actuators in them. I know this doesn't help.

That's why I'm going with all junkyard stuff. I'd rather risk having OEM parts that might be worn out, rather than junk that you can guarantee will break sooner than later. I'm willing to pay more to get good stuff, but no one seems to make it other than OEM.

I have figured out that some Fords and Mercedes have solenoids instead of actuators. I might try some of them if the OEM actuators don't work out.