Repair door bottoms 1937 Buick

Mutt's37Buick

I'm finally ready to tackle the rust repair on the bottom of the doors of my 1937 Buick. Like most panels, there are no aftermarket parts, so I need to fabricate. The shape has a large radius leading into a .875" radius near the bottom that leads into a sharp corner and vertical tab (return). The part is further complicated by the gradual curve of the door from front to back.
1)  Does anyone have suggestions as to equipment, or process to fabricate this shape?

2) The ends of the doors appear to have a folded over hem that captures the sides.  Has anyone fabricated this section and can you show me how it was accomplished?

021 Right rear door compressed.jpg

Bottom of rear door, compressed.jpg

Bottom of rear door shows lip, compresssed.jpg

Inside RT RR door bottom rust.jpg

Why not first give this a very light sandblasting and closely examine the existing damage?  From your pics, if it were mine, I'd cut out the local through-wall pits and weld in metal patches.  Go slow and be patient and grind down your welds.  Make each patch as small as it can be.  If the pits aren't through wall or even if they are and the hole is very small (pinhead or less) then get a little more aggressive on the blast and coat with epoxy primer and then fill the pit with body filler over the epoxy primer. 

In my opinion, you have too much good metal to resort to hacking away the bottom of the door and trying to replace it. 

I know it doesn't answer your questions; maybe others will chime in.

Good Luck,

joel

• Like 2

This was the patch that was already on my drivers door.

DiBarry Buick 001.jpg DiBarry Buick 002.jpg

That was the worst of the rust on my car.

Penn Dutch Restorations made a very nice repair on mine. It looks great. I would go with the others suggestions as yours is not as bad as mine was.

DSCF1655.JPGDSCF1750.JPG