torpedo body on rotisserie

kgreen

Want to mount a convertible torpedo body (shell only) on a rotisserie and see two styles.  One that supports only at the front and rear corners and a second one that has provision for mounting along the midbody.  

Has anyone got some experience with either of these two rotisserie models?  Wondering if the convertible body can take the stress of mounting on just four corners.

I have my '41 Buick sedanette on a rotisserie that uses the forward and rear-most body mounts to hold it. On a convertible, before you remove it from the chassis, I would weld supports in the doors and across the body to triangulate everything to keep it in place when you pull it off. The type of rotisserie matters less than reinforcing the body correctly. You don't want to be doing metal work on the car when the panels are out of position--it'll give you nightmares when you put it back on the chassis and try to line it all up.

Look online for some of the pro shops and see how they weld in a considerable cage or reinforcements to convertibles when they're off the chassis. It really matters. Using a rotisserie that supports the middle of the car does not obviate the need for reinforcements, in my opinion.

Still wouldn't use it without reinforcing the body. That 4x4 tubing running down the center won't be strong enough to support a body without flexing. I think it's a needless expense. It's not strong enough to justify its existence and the extra cost since you'll need to reinforce the body anyway.

I'll also note that I"m not a fan of rotisseries that use bottle jacks to alter the height of the pivots--if they're not exactly in line, they're going to induce stress into the body when you turn it.

Check out the rotisserie I built for myself and my 1941 Buick. Not terribly expensive and a fun project.

http://www.harwoodperformance.bizland.com/1941buick/Editorial_20.htm

• Like 1

Went a little farther with  the stiffeners on my 1939 convert, turnbuckles. Fabricated them myself with thread rod, nuts, scrap iron and some black iron pipe. One end is made from left hand thread rod. Didn't weld them to the structure but made simple mounting brackets and bolted everything in. Thought they might come in handy when it came time to fit up the doors. Leveled the frame on the floor and installed them prior to removing body mounts.

Had some motivation, there is 1939 convert not far from me that was cobbled so bad that the owner has stopped work on it, unrepairable in his opinion. The floorboard and cowl were replaced, the body openings were not properly jigged up and he can't fit doors to the openings. It has stiffeners welded in but I don't know how the process went down.

Attached a few photos. Questions answered upon request. Bob H

Body, stiffeners from high RS (Small).JPG

Body, front lwr stiffener mounts, typ (Small).JPG

Body, bracket & mtg, stiffeners, LS (Small).JPG

Body, front upper stiffener mounts, typ (Small).JPG

007 (Small).JPG

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Bob H said:

Went a little farther with  the stiffeners on my 1939 convert, turnbuckles. Fabricated them myself with thread rod, nuts, scrap iron and some black iron pipe. One end is made from left hand thread rod. Didn't weld them to the structure but made simple mounting brackets and bolted everything in. Thought they might come in handy when it came time to fit up the doors. Leveled the frame on the floor and installed them prior to removing body mounts.

Had some motivation, there is 1939 convert not far from me that was cobbled so bad that the owner has stopped work on it, unrepairable in his opinion. The floorboard and cowl were replaced, the body openings were not properly jigged up and he can't fit doors to the openings. It has stiffeners welded in but I don't know how the process went down.

Attached a few photos. Questions answered upon request. Bob H

Body, stiffeners from high RS (Small).JPG

Body, front lwr stiffener mounts, typ (Small).JPG

Body, bracket & mtg, stiffeners, LS (Small).JPG

Body, front upper stiffener mounts, typ (Small).JPG

007 (Small).JPG

Nice set up

• Like 1