Studebaker Service Bulletin indexes available

studeq

I have always felt that owners of pre WWII Studebakers may be underutilizing the Studebaker Service Bulletins. Between January 1926 and July 1944 there were 155 bulletins issued containing close to 2500 pages and over 4000 separate service articles. Perhaps the reason that they have been overlooked is that they are difficult to acquire and that no comprehensive index has ever been published. With that in mind I decided to make an inventory of the four master indexes covering that period and make them available. These indexes are all organized in such a manner as to make it fairly simple to find specific articles and updated information. As the first sample page below illustrates the model designations are shown running horizontally across the top and the article title runs vertically down the left side. For example if one was looking for information on the new 1931 Speedway President they would find the model number 80 at top and the operation title at left “Cylinder head 7.0 to 1 Compression ratio – (Speedway President)” and the bulletin issue and page number where the information could be found, #56 page 14. Pretty simple once one gets the hang of it. Once you have the issue and page number you can order that page or pages only. Of course in some cases you may want to order an entire issue. For example when the new series 1931 Presidents and Commanders were introduced in June 1930 there was 18 pages of service updates carried in the July ’30 Service Bulletin (no. 47A). This was also true of the intro issues in 1929, 1932, and 1933, etc.

I am including below the four master indexes with number of pages, the period covered and the number of different articles that are found in each. The prices for the indexes are also included. I also have a complete collection of the Service Bulletins and will be glad to run copies of the articles you have an interest. Prices will vary depending on the number of pages involved.  

inventory.jpg

According to the parts book the EK wooden wheels front large cone is Timken # 3381 studebaker number 31965. Small cone timken # 2382 studebaker number 30486.

Cup large timken # 3331 st # 31963.

Cup small timken # 2330 st # 9175.

felt washer st # 21968

Of course there were different bearings for the disc wheels and wire wheels.

Hi Dick.  That's hilarious.  I almost asked if there was something about wide whitewall maintenance.  You will be pleased to know that I actually do own a Studebaker with wide whites.  The previous owner had just installed them before deciding to sell.  During the negotiations for my purchase I told him that his choice was "Unfortunate"!  

Payment on on the way for Service indexes  numbers 2 and 3

Tom

image.jpeg

That topic is kind of an inside joke with Tom and I. I have owned 7 coupe expresses over the years and 3 had white walls. Of course this was a legitimate option in that period (1937-39) so from an authenticity point of view they are perfectly legit. As for whether any Coupe Express ever left the Studebaker factory with them I would seriously doubt it. I currently own one each, 1937-38-39, and only the '38 has the white walls. My old red '39 looked pretty good with them (3rd

photo). So it is a matter of personal preference. I think they all look pretty nice either way.

IMG_1039 3.5 x 5.5 labeled.jpg

composite1.jpg

DSCF2375 email.jpg

Edited by studeq (see edit history)