1929 - 1930 ? Pontiac 2 door sedan

Guest trdatisola

Guest trdatisola

I have been restoring what I thought was  a 1930 2 dr sedan.I have developed doubts about it being a 1930. Motor and Car serial numbers don't match that year model. Can someone help me with this problem? There are two numbers on the engine.Both are located on left side.one towards the front -P617435 the other towards the back 526865 with CWC just below it.Car body has on its fire wall Job # 8940 with body# 50086. Also the hand brake on this car is different than the schematics that i have seen for this car. operation of the handbrake handle activates a brake band that tightens around a drum on the driveshaft of the car. any info will be much appreciated. 

My 1929 has the same type handbrake that you are talking about. Tinindian is probably your best bet to tell you the differences between the 29's and the 30's. I do know the beltline of the body plays a big part on identifying when it was built.

Here is an older post that I found. It was written by Tinindian. Hope this helps.

Pontiac did not use year designations as we use them today. And many cars were registered as the year they were sold in, The first Pontiacs advertised as 1929 were in fact Series 6-28 (same car as 1928 except for cross flow rad and Hotchkiss drive) built from August to November 1928. Series 6-29 were built from December 1928 until August 1929. These had a different body and were easily identified by their vertically divided rad shell. 1930 Pontiacs were designated Series 6-29A from August 1929 until November. Starting in December 1929 was Series 6-30B. The obvious difference between the Series 6-29A and Series 6-30B is the belt line. On the 6-30B it is convex and runs from the radiator all the way around the car. The 6-29A's belt moulding is concave and only runs from the A pillar around to the A pillar.

I don't have a list but someone here will be able to tell you from your serial number when you car was built.

I may be able to offer some clarification. My information is coming from the Standard Catalog of Pontiac, 2nd edition by John Gunnel.

From the job number which you have given-- #8940 is a 1929 model year, 2d sedan, series 6-29.

The engine number which you have given--P617435 falls into what is listed as a 1929-1/2 Pontiac with engine numbers starting at P608157 and ending at 673500.

The body style number for 1929-1/2 Pontiac is A8940.

1929 Pontiac engine numbers range from starting at P376341 to end at P461000(approx).

1930 Pontiac engine numbers range from P673501 to P744000(approx)

I am assuming a late body for 1929 combined with an early 1929-1/2 engine.

The number 526865 is not referenced but is it the casting number of the block?

I can find no reference to the CWC in the Abbreviations section of the book.

I guess we don't have all of your answers but we're off to a good start.

Good luck- Dave

Edited by straight8pontiac
New information added (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest trdatisola

Thanks to all who responded. I feel comfortable in IDing my Pontiac as a 1929.If I could just find a working carb for this car I'd be fixed.

Thanks again.And thanks to whom ever started the Oakland pontiac AACA.