Insurance company recommendations and more

Annie G

Hey friends,

I'm in the process of getting an Agreed value policy for my modified 1990 454SS and have gotten 4 quotes ranging in price from $178 - 586 per year with a range of mileage from 2,000-6,000.  I got quotes from Heacock Classic; Grundy; Hagerty (most expensive); and Classic Collectors (least expensive).

Please let me know what your experience is with each of these companies. :)  I know the names of Grundy and Hagerty, but don't know anything about Heacock or Classic Collectors.  Any information would be greatly helpful.  And if there is another company you can recommend I look into  (Chubb won't insure unless the vehicle is 30 years old)  I'd like that information too.

Here's a photo of the truck if you are interested ;-)

Thank you!!! :)

2014-05-18 177 sm.jpg

I had a policy with JC Taylor for a number of years, and the cost just seemed a little high.  This year I presented list of cars, raised values slightly, to Hagerty, and the quote came in about 25% below JC Taylor, so I switched.  Very good communication, I have my own representative to talk to, I'm very happy......

23 hours ago, AnniesSS said:

Hey friends,

I'm in the process of getting an Agreed value policy for my modified 1990 454SS and have gotten 4 quotes ranging in price from $178 - 586 per year with a range of mileage from 2,000-6,000.  I got quotes from Heacock Classic; Grundy; Hagerty (most expensive); and Classic Collectors (least expensive).

Please let me know what your experience is with each of these companies. :)  I know the names of Grundy and Hagerty, but don't know anything about Heacock or Classic Collectors.  Any information would be greatly helpful.  And if there is another company you can recommend I look into  (Chubb won't insure unless the vehicle is 30 years old)  I'd like that information too.

Here's a photo of the truck if you are interested ;-)

Thank you!!! :)

Annie,

Funny you should mention Classic Collectors (CC)  as I have had an Agreed Value policy with then for a few years now for my Antique Vehicles. I have not had to file a claim with them so I cannot provide any information  about them regarding how they handle a claim. I have multiple vehicles on my Classic Collectors policy. It does not surprise me that you have found their rates to be less than their competition. That is one of the reasons I switched to them from my prior company. From what I understand CC is owned by Infinity Insurance Company which underwrites the actual coverage on their policies unlike some other well know companies in this industry whose policies are underwritten by one or more underwriters that are independent from the insurance company who sells the policy. This may explain why a company like CC sells their insurance for less (ie they cut out the middle man). CC has been in business since 1992 and has over 100,000 customers (probably smaller than some other Collector Car Insurance companies). Directly from the CC web site "Unlike many other collector car insurance providers, we are not a general agency that relies on another carrier. We are fully owned and operated by an AM Best "A" rated company." (ie Infinity Insurance Company).  FYI, CC has three Mileage plans (1,200, 6,000 & Unlimited). The mileage plan is assigned to each vehicle on the policy and you can have different mileage plans on different vehicles. BTW, you did not mention your Burb in this post. You might want to check with CC about putting your Burb on the policy as well. CC offers some hefty discounts for multiple vehicles on a policy.

If you want to talk about CC in more detail in person I will be at Hershey next week and will have one of my vehicles in the HPOF Original section of the field. Who knows we might be parked close to one another.

Charlie

Edited by charlier (see edit history)

Hi everyone thanks!!  Charlie - thanks for the detailed answer!!  I'm not going to put the Burb on the policy because it's my daily driver and not garage kept, so I don't think any of these companies would insure it on the classic policy, although I guess it can't hurt to ask, right?  Come by and say hi!  You see the Burb in my avatar :)

40 minutes ago, AnniesSS said:

Hi everyone thanks!!  Charlie - thanks for the detailed answer!!  I'm not going to put the Burb on the policy because it's my daily driver and not garage kept, so I don't think any of these companies would insure it on the classic policy, although I guess it can't hurt to ask, right?  Come by and say hi!  You see the Burb in my avatar :)

Unfortunately Classic Collectors, like most insurers, will not qualify your Burb because it is your daily driver.

CCs also has some rules regarding Driver Eligibility. If you missed them you can find them on their web site.

Forgot to mention in my earlier post that if you care to you can pay your policy bill on their web site. I did that myself this year.

Their telephone customer service people are very helpful as well. They do however require that policy changes be made in writing or email.

They do not take policy changes over the phone.

Yes, I will stop by and say Hi at Hershey. You and I spoke briefly at the AACA Meet in New Jersey earlier this year at your Burb before be we both had to start judging.

Have a Safe Trip to Hershey.

Charlie