Would you buy this book on Buicks???

Dave@Moon

"lsmft100@aol.com" recently posted a thread trying to guage the potential interest in a new coffee table or hobbiest book on Buicks of the 1960's. I've just posted a smiley face on the end of that thread to make it easier to find. <P>The lack of such a book on the market has mystified me for years, however the response to thread he posted seems to beg the question "Is there a market for one?".<P>I would assume that lsmft100 (gee, I wonder if he smokes? rolleyes.gif ) must have been dissappointed in the performance of that thread. Thus far there have been only 9 postings. In order to maybe better guage the interest in the topic for him/her, I thought I'd post this simple question. Please resopond with a "Yes" or "No", and then (only if desired) post any additional comments in a seperate, second paragraph.<P>For the sake of simplicity, lets assume that the book is released for next year, it's hardcover, costs $40, has 250 pages and 300+ illustrations, covers cars from 1960 to 1970, is well written, accurate, comprehensive and a good read (fun/easy). It may well be that this is more book than lsmft100 had planned, but I thought it prudent to make the challenge of the question as high as practically possible.<P>OK...here goes.... Would you buy the book? confused.gif

I couldn't get to the tread, but with understanding to what I have read, truthfully there may not be a market for this book, but there are some out there for "Mushtangs" and other stuff frown.gif. But if it were to be placed into an area where there are a number of 1960's-70's Buick fans such as myself I do beleive that it would sell rather well. With out seeing this book, but from what I have reaad about it, I would be more than willing to buy one.

YES! I would buy!<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dave@Moon:<BR><B>"lsmft100@aol.com" recently posted a thread trying to guage the potential interest in a new coffee table or hobbiest book on Buicks of the 1960's. I've just posted a smiley face on the end of that thread to make it easier to find. <P>The lack of such a book on the market has mystified me for years, however the response to thread he posted seems to beg the question "Is there a market for one?".<P>I would assume that lsmft100 (gee, I wonder if he smokes? rolleyes.gif ) must have been dissappointed in the performance of that thread. Thus far there have been only 9 postings. In order to maybe better guage the interest in the topic for him/her, I thought I'd post this simple question. Please resopond with a "Yes" or "No", and then (only if desired) post any additional comments in a seperate, second paragraph.<P>For the sake of simplicity, lets assume that the book is released for next year, it's hardcover, costs $40, has 250 pages and 300+ illustrations, covers cars from 1960 to 1970, is well written, accurate, comprehensive and a good read (fun/easy). It may well be that this is more book than lsmft100 had planned, but I thought it prudent to make the challenge of the question as high as practically possible.<P>OK...here goes.... Would you buy the book? confused.gif</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>

Guest 455stage1

Yes!<P><BR>I would definitely support this effort and be interested in purchasing a book which contains all Buicks, both pictures and miscellaneous information, from 1960 thru early 1970 model years. I agree that there are barely any books currently available on the market which support our Buick interest. I own a restored 1970 GS Stage 1 Convertible 4-speed which would be available for photographs. Just let me know.<P>------------------<BR>

Thanks for reposting my thread in a new light. The original title is "Possible 60's-70's Book on Buicks". I would like the book to cover from 63-76. (complain, but I need to start and cut it off somewhere) It would include the standard Riv/Skylark/GS stuff, but I really want to cover wildcat/electra/le sabre, and will have lots of info on "orphan" buicks such as the 73-74 Century GS, and the 74-76 Rivs, and basically any B body. I would love to have reprints of original Buick literature and anecdotes from original owners, dealers, engineers, etc. I do not know how to contact many people like this, but I think alot of BCA members do.<P>I would love to have a chapter on the nailhead, and just Buick engines in general. I picture nice photos of 401's and stage 1's in and out of cars.<P>Please read the original thread for more info.<P>thanks<BR>james<P>PS: yes i do smoke!!! and I guess you know what!!!

A YES without question.<P>In looking through hundreds of books, Buick and multi-make, there are really none that cover the 64 Wildcat. So.... be sure to have ONE WHOLE chapter on the 64 Wildcat, especially 4-speeds! smile.gif Now that book would rock.<P><BR>

I will second the motion for such a book to begin when both the 60s model lines & the 'modern' 401 bowed: thusly, start it in 1959! The chapters on the early years don't need to be terribly involved, but those years lay important groundwork for what made Buick great later on.

Yes... with the following comment(s):<P>I have a big coffee table book that covers all the Marques titled "Great American Automobiles of the Sixties" - it has plenty of color photos and informative text, with specs and production numbers. The only problem I have with the book is that it stops at 1969.<P>A Buick only book that covers the range mentioned here, 1963 to 1976 would be an interesting work. I humbly suggest that you start earlier, perhaps with the introduction of the nailhead V8 in 1953. But I feel it should at least begin in 1959, with the introduction of the "modern" model lines; Electra, LeSabre, Wildcat (Invicta) and cover the introduction of the Skylark. I am much less interested in the cars produced after the 1972 model year, but perhaps coverage of how the Buick V6 saved GM would be in order... smile.gif<P>Matthew<P>p.s. - Just read the original thread... didn't mean to repeat what you had already stated Dave, about starting the "modern" history in 1953, but I'm glad to see more than one of us thinking along those lines.<P>And John, even though I'm a "Boomer" whose tastes in automobiles run more to Sixties iron, one of my all time favorite cool Buicks has to be the 1949 Roadmaster Riveria. When I get my ranch with the ten-car garage I will certainly have to add one to my collection. wink.gif<p>[This message has been edited by 67GSCalif (edited 10-15-2000).]

DO IT!!!!! I have been looking for a book...ANY book which is heavy on info of the 60's full size cars....this is a nice niche which is waaaaaaaaaay long overdue in being filled....<BR> My 1st fullsize Buick having been a 66 Wildcat(It was a conv.)....Ive alos had a couple 61's, a 73 Centurion....am going to go look at a 69 E 225 tonight....need I say more..I am more than willing to help out with this endeavor in whatever capacity.<P><BR> DO THIS BOOK!!!!!!!!!!<P> Drop me an E @ dlw29@hotmail.com<P> Thanks,don55<P>

Sure! But how much is it gonna cost to get it into CANADA? The only reason I ask is that a $20 US book ends up being $50 C.<p>[This message has been edited by gm boat owner (edited 10-19-2000).]

YES<P>Begin it in 1959, and carry through 1976 to cover all the big blocks. Include ALL cars, not just GS/Stage 1. Include stuff on the 215/300/340, too.

yes <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dave@Moon:<BR><B>"lsmft100@aol.com" recently posted a thread trying to guage the potential interest in a new coffee table or hobbiest book on Buicks of the 1960's. I've just posted a smiley face on the end of that thread to make it easier to find. <P>The lack of such a book on the market has mystified me for years, however the response to thread he posted seems to beg the question "Is there a market for one?".<P>I would assume that lsmft100 (gee, I wonder if he smokes? rolleyes.gif ) must have been dissappointed in the performance of that thread. Thus far there have been only 9 postings. In order to maybe better guage the interest in the topic for him/her, I thought I'd post this simple question. Please resopond with a "Yes" or "No", and then (only if desired) post any additional comments in a seperate, second paragraph.<P>For the sake of simplicity, lets assume that the book is released for next year, it's hardcover, costs $40, has 250 pages and 300+ illustrations, covers cars from 1960 to 1970, is well written, accurate, comprehensive and a good read (fun/easy). It may well be that this is more book than lsmft100 had planned, but I thought it prudent to make the challenge of the question as high as practically possible.<P>OK...here goes.... Would you buy the book? confused.gif</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>