Buick Model 48 Body Tag

pplaut

I have a 1936 Model 48 Body Tag.

I have the style number  ??-4411 - I was able to cross reference this number.

This is where I need help. What number is below the style number? 

I have a partial number of which I believe the last three digits are 716. The preceding digit might be an 8 but it is in pretty bad shape. Everything to the left of the last four digits is gone.

TRIM No.  245

[P]AINT No 425

Day    Year (Both Blank)

Body By Fisher

1936 Buick Original Body Tag-cropped.png

Edited by pplaut
uploaded image (see edit history)

BUICK-MOTOR-CO.   
FLINT, MICH.   
1936 MOD. 48
STYLE No 36-4411
BODY No  ??716
TRIM No 245 
PAINT No 425   
MO.   DAY  YEAR
BODY BY FISHER   

The body number was based on the model and related to production.  It started at one and production for the 1936 model was 21,323.  So a 2 probably wouldn't make sense since it would give 23716 or 28716, which is higher than the model production.  The frame serial number is located behind the right front tire on the side of the frame.  If you send me a PM with your frame serial number, I can check my database and see if I have any other model 48 cars with similar serial numbers that I have the body number for.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, pplaut said:

Where would be the VIN number then?

Your car does not have a VIN as we know them today. VIV's did not start until the mid 1950's

Your car will have a chassis/frame number, engine serial number and the body number (on the data plate as above)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_identification_number

The ending frame serial number for 1936 is 2,999,496.  Your frame serial number is very close to the end.  Assuming the body number is 13716, that would exceed the remaining production between your frame serial number and the ending frame serial number.  The only number that would make sense is 18716.  I have data on another model 48.  Its frame serial number is 2955395 and the body number is 16205.  This supports the body number being 18716.

1936 Buick Trim Tag 06.jpg

• Like 1