Ignition Coil

Guest GMBuick

Guest GMBuick

I own a 1928 Buick with the Inline 6, currently not running.  The original coil is still in the car but is not registering any resistance.  Also the "Resistance unit" appears to be unwinding.  If, I add a new 6 volt negative ground coil, do I have to consider the "resistance unit", when I rewire it?  Is there a way to take it out of the circuit.  The point to this unit is, if you leave the key on and the car is not running but the points are closed it prevents burning up of the points.  I want to go to Pertronix system any way, As an additional question is there some place to get the original coils, with the "resistance unit"?

I swapped out the original coil on my '26 with a 6 volt "Tractor Supply" coil. I believe it has some built in resistance. No external resistance used. Worked great. Engine started right up and even drew less current than the original coil. There was no observable effect on the points as well. 

Edited by AzBob (see edit history)

GMBuick, One thing you might want to think about is the rev range that the engine of this period, the Buick straight 6 anyway, operates in as it is quite narrow compared with today's engine. The coil needs to be able to provide maximum performance at the low end of the rev range (<3000 rpm) which may not be optimum for these "Petronix" types of coils and perhaps more suited to the vintage tractor coil.

We'd still be interesting to see how well it works so keep us posted on what you end up doing.

I put a Petronix ignition in my XK 120 and used an existing coil.  It worked, but not great.  Then I tried a couple of other coils over the next couple of years as I dealt with adequate but not great performance.  I had problems with starting and high speed running that took me forever to figure out.  It all cleared up when I purchased a Petronix coil.  My suggestion is that if you want to go the Petronix route, buy the coil too.   If I had to do it all over again, I would have preferred to have left it alone with old school points.  The car doesn't get enough miles to justify, but now it is maintenance free.  Hugh