Back to the Bricks/Flint MI A Must See For Buick/Riviera Lovers

Riviera63

Hi,

I just returned last Sunday from Flint, MI and a trip to the Back to the Bricks Cruise and Show and want to share my experience with you. My brother-in-law and I left early last Wednesday morning and drove my 1963 Riviera from Central Wisconsin through the Upper Peninsula of Michigan down to Flint. About a 10 hour trip for us one way. That beautiful drive along Lake Michigan and the trip across the Mackinac Bridge was worth it alone. Not to mention the stress free driving as compared to the drive through and around Chicago. I experienced that 13 years ago driving my 1963 Pontiac LeMans convertible back from Battle Creek MI where I purchased it. 

I don't know if I can adequately describe to you in words what a fantastic experience this was for us but, I will give it a try. Any expectations we had for this trip were just blown out of the water and then some. We started Thursday with a trip to see "Riviera Bob" a Flint resident and look for some parts. Bob then graciously led us on a tour of the area where some of the events were that we would be attending. Bob led the way in his newly purchased 1965 Riviera Gran Sport which he is in the process of restoring and we followed in my 1963. There were lots of thumbs up on the way. Thursday night we attended one of the three nights of "Rolling Cruises" on Saginaw Street. The local BCA chapter Buicktown had an area reserved on Saginaw street for Buicks to park and watch the cruise. It was a great night sitting with other Buick lovers and watching hundreds of fantastic cars of all makes, models and years drive by. By the way did I mention that where my car was parked and we were watching the cruise was the site of the Fisher Body Plant where my car was built! I just about fell over when a Buicktown Chapter member told me that. We had an extended conversation with a Buicktown member about his experiences working for Chevrolet in the engineering department at the Flint plant. Very interesting.

Friday we spent the day going to the Sloan Museum, the Buick Gallery and the estate of C.S. Mott. It is at these three wonderful places that you really start to understand the huge role that Flint and its residents played in shaping the automotive industry as we know it today. I knew many of the names but, had no idea of how they meshed together to create what we know as General Motors. The Sloan Museum is a virtual time capsule of those times. What can I say about the Buick Gallery except wow! Walking around and standing inches from iconic dream cars created by Buick including the Silver Arrow One. Don't forget the Buick built WWII tank destroyer. C.S. Mott (yes, that Mott, his father and uncle started the company) was the longest standing member of the GM Board of Directors. He was a down to earth man that never forgot his roots and kept on giving back to the city of Flint until the day he died. His estate was beautiful but, not the opulent, overblown monstrosities that so many of the affluent built then and now. It was simple and functional. At one time he grew and raised all of the food that his family ate on the grounds. A very interesting man.

Saturday was the car show on Saginaw Street in downtown Flint. What a great sight to see. Cars of every description for you to walk by and see. The Buicktown sponsored an all-Buick show in conjunction with the larger show on Water Street which is within walking distance of the larger show. What can you say about parking your car across the street from the Durant-Dort Carriage Company Headquarters building, the birthplace of GM and next to Durant-Dort Factory #1? Walking the same ground that icons of the auto industry walked? Walking around the corner and seeing the house where Walter Chrysler lived and turning around and a block away see the house where Charles Nash lived? It is hard to describe. 

What made the trip so special was the people we met. Everyone was so friendly and giving of their time and knowledge. I was taken aback by their passion and love of Flint and its place in automotive history. Their enthusiasm was infectious as you can tell by this long winded piece. I want to give a special thanks to Buicktown member Roger Tyyska who got me started on this journey months ago and also made it so great once I got there. If you ever have a chance get there. You won't regret it.

Bill

IMG_2306.JPGIMG_2299.JPGIMG_2310.JPGIMG_2317.JPG

• Like 4

Just as a follow-up to this. If anyone is interested in more information, contacts or pictures of this event feel free to contact me. I would be more than happy to share this with anyone that is interested. I have attached a few more pictures. Two of the pictures are of a GMC van that was modified so that it was upside down and backwards as it moved down the street. The wheels on the top also rotated as it moved down the road. Just one of the freaky vehicles we saw on the cruise. I can never get more than 4 or 5 to attach to a post. Is there anything I can do to be able to get more pictures to attach. I have seen others do it on the forum. Thanks.

Bill

IMG_2303.JPGIMG_2302.JPGIMG_2336.JPGIMG_2304.JPG

Guest Launchpad

Bill, I really enjoyed reading your post. It reminds me of how lucky I am to have grown up in Flint with all of its rich history. While the vast majority of our state is ready to throw in the towel on Flint I love the city and know it will rebound in the years to come.

I became a history buff not too many years back when I began researching my family. All lines of my family were deeply involved in the early automobile industry with some starting as early as the Patterson carriage factory on through the days it converted to horseless. 

My uncle was Vice President of General Motors in its infancy (and Cheverolet) and was right hand man to Billy Durant. One grandfather was established as one of Buicks executives and another two grandfathers came from Sweden to work in "The Hole" at the Cheverolet factory. One participating in the sit down strike.

I've been blessed with all of the family belongings which include hundreds and hundreds of old photographs showing what it was like to live in Flint during the late 1800's through the early 20's. And with these I am hooked on Flint forever.

Because of my fascination I now have a Durant Coupe to help connect me to my history. I'm a green horn with little experience with vintage cars but I'm learning. Each time I get under that car of lift the hood I think of all those who worked on it to put it together back in the day. What I would do to have one of them around to help me figure out how to repair the darn thing every time something goes wrong with it.

We have another event coming up in Flint this September called " Golden Memories". In no way shape or form is this close to Back to the Bricks but it's one that I'm more comfortable attending with the Durant. Smaller and more personal. I'm anxious to display "Mona Lisa" (my Durant) right at the entrance to the Sloan. And before returning home with her I hope to get a Proffesional photographer to get a few pictures of her displayed in front of the Durant Hotel.

I'm glad you had such a wonderful time here and on your next visit keep me in mind. I think a Riviera and a Durant would look pretty snazzy cruising together through town. Well, if you can handle driving your Riviera 35 MPH???

best,

Brian

1 hour ago, Launchpad said:

Bill, I really enjoyed reading your post. It reminds me of how lucky I am to have grown up in Flint with all of its rich history. While the vast majority of our state is ready to throw in the towel on Flint I love the city and know it will rebound in the years to come.

I became a history buff not too many years back when I began researching my family. All lines of my family were deeply involved in the early automobile industry with some starting as early as the Patterson carriage factory on through the days it converted to horseless. 

My uncle was Vice President of General Motors in its infancy (and Cheverolet) and was right hand man to Billy Durant. One grandfather was established as one of Buicks executives and another two grandfathers came from Sweden to work in "The Hole" at the Cheverolet factory. One participating in the sit down strike.

I've been blessed with all of the family belongings which include hundreds and hundreds of old photographs showing what it was like to live in Flint during the late 1800's through the early 20's. And with these I am hooked on Flint forever.

Because of my fascination I now have a Durant Coupe to help connect me to my history. I'm a green horn with little experience with vintage cars but I'm learning. Each time I get under that car of lift the hood I think of all those who worked on it to put it together back in the day. What I would do to have one of them around to help me figure out how to repair the darn thing every time something goes wrong with it.

We have another event coming up in Flint this September called " Golden Memories". In no way shape or form is this close to Back to the Bricks but it's one that I'm more comfortable attending with the Durant. Smaller and more personal. I'm anxious to display "Mona Lisa" (my Durant) right at the entrance to the Sloan. And before returning home with her I hope to get a Proffesional photographer to get a few pictures of her displayed in front of the Durant Hotel.

I'm glad you had such a wonderful time here and on your next visit keep me in mind. I think a Riviera and a Durant would look pretty snazzy cruising together through town. Well, if you can handle driving your Riviera 35 MPH???

best,

Brian

Brian,

Thank you for your kind words and great family background. You certainly are related to a huge part of the Flint story. You really need to get in touch with Peggy at the Genesee County Historical Society. I will try to dig up her contact info. She would love all of the connections you have with the Flint story. I had the privilege to meet her just before we left the All-Buick Show on Saturday. I have never met a man or woman in this case more passionate about what they love which in this instance was Flint and preserving and keeping alive the Flint story. She talked to us for an hour and it was fascinating hearing the tales and goings on of those days. PM me with your name, phone number, e-mail etc. so that I can put it with my "Flint File". Both my brother-in-law and I agreed a return trip may be in the cards. Please consider taking your Durant to the All-Buick show. They had some really old Buicks and they would be thrilled to have you there. The show is small, easy to get in and out of and the Buicktown members are the best. What a better place to show it than on the street in front of the plant where it was built. I will keep you in mind and I love driving my Riviera at any speed.

Bill

Great write-up Bill!

I too was born in Flint, but moved away a loooong time ago. Guess I need to try and make it a point to get back there someday soon.

Years ago there was a sign on I-75 coming into Flint from the north that said "Buicktown USA", I know it has been gone for several years now though!

Guest Launchpad
46 minutes ago, Rivman said:

Years ago there was a sign on I-75 coming into Flint from the north that said "Buicktown USA", I know it has been gone for several years now though!

image.jpeg

Bill, your story and pictures bring back fond memories of an early ROA annual meet that was shared with the BCA in Flint, MI

The Buick plant was still operational back then and we got an excellent plant tour and saw exactly what was involved in assembling a finished car.

It was also neat to see all the ROA Riviera, of various ages, parked in front of the main plant where many of them were originally built.

A fantastic tour of the Sloan Museum was also included showing the history of GM over the years.

Buick City is an important part of Buick's history that will live on for a long time to come !

4 hours ago, Chasander said:

Bill

Enjoyed talking Riviera s with you. I'm parked next to you in the Silver Cloud on Saginaw street.

Chuck

Chuck,

Thanks for getting in touch with me. You were one of the people that we talked with that made our trip so great. I felt bad that I did not get your contact info before we left. Please keep me informed of how your progress goes with the Riv. I really like the silver. Also, the next time you see "Riviera Bob" please give him some major crap about not showing up at the show on Saturday. He had assured us he was going. Thanks for all the info on the heat riser. I will update you on how that goes whenever I go ahead and tackle that. I tried looking for the anti-rattle spring on e-bay and could not find one. Maybe I am not putting in the correct search parameters. What do you put in to find them? Please let me know. Thanks again for everything.

Bill

22 hours ago, Launchpad said:

image.jpeg

Thanks for posting!

It looks different than I remember it but I moved away from Flint 40+ years ago, and who knows how long before that it was the last time I saw it.

Were there any other variations of it over the years or was this pretty much how it was the whole time?

Thanks again

Guest Launchpad
6 minutes ago, Rivman said:

Were there any other variations of it over the years or was this pretty much how it was the whole time?

Thanks again

The sign did change at least a couple times.  I recall a very large one just South of the airport. I'll search for a picture.