Convertible top boot circa 1938

38Buick 80C

Brian,

Wish I could help, but my '37 was missing the boot cover when I got it - have not replaced it yet.

At some point I will likely have one custom-made to match the car.

Brian& Marty:

I do have an original boot in its oilcloth bag for a 1937 Special. Looks pretty good. I could lend it out to you. Other than size you could ay least use it for a structural pattern. The reason I would like to hold on to it is that there is still a chance of a 37 Special Phaeton coming available near me.

DSCF4902.JPG

Edited by dibarlaw (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Hi Larry wow, thanks. I don't need to borrow per say as the upholstery guy I have been doing great just off pictures. Can I get detailed pictures of the stitching? It looks like different materials, what are they? Is the oil cloth bag factory too? I'd love some photos of it too if it is.

• Like 1

Thanks Larry, and got your voice mail too. so it's top material in the center single thick and understand about the black rubber, but didn't quite understand what the outer material is?

Also as requested in your VM here are some "glamour" shots of my 38.

IMG_20160728_102453.jpg

IMG_20160728_102510.jpg

IMG_20160728_102523.jpg

Edited by 38Buick 80C (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Thanks Brian:

We need a few photos for the 36-38 club newsletter.

It appears that the center section is of one thickness of the Burbank type cloth (same as what the top would have been). The outer perimeter sections have the hard black rubber pieces which reinforce the same material which covers it. That is probably why the outer sections are in better shape. If I had to use this on a car I would probably just have the deteriorated center material replaced.

DSCF4715.JPGDSCF4723.JPGDSCF4745.JPG

I picked this up from the estate sale of a former member Jack Frank who Had a 1937 Special Phaeton restored in 1990. It achieved all the AACA and BCA awards Grand National etc. I missed getting this car at the sale. It sold for $40,000. I had tried to give the new local owner the BCA sales pitch. He was not interested. He said he will probably not drive it. Just wax it and look at it.. Before the sale they had offered it to me for $30,000. Which I told them if they had let me know last November I could have tried to sell both of my cars. (I still would have been short of their asking price). Jack had a new boot made for the car and had a Burbank cloth bag made for it as well as one for the side supports. His son said that the top had never been folded. The Mason-Dixon Chapter has a photo collection of the car and its awards.

DSCF5385.JPGDSCF5386.JPG

DSCF5387.JPGDSCF5389.JPG

Edited by dibarlaw (see edit history)
  • Like 1