Hood Alignment

kdml

Getting ready for painting my '65, installing and aligning all the body panels. Installed the hood today and every time I close, the passenger side rear corner does not go down all the way. I can push it down once the hood is closed. Is there and adjustment I'm missing or is this the sign of a weak spring. Any thoughts would be appreciated. 

Thanks

Doug

image.jpeg

Thanks

not sure why I posted picture without cowl panel. Here's one with cowl panel installed.  Everything else lines up. Drivers side is fine. I'm thinking the hinge might be binding a little. Going to lube and work the hood up and down to see if the problem goes away

image.jpeg

Yes definitely make sure hinge is lubricated well. Typically to increase hood pull down at rear, you can try adding a shim under the forward most bolt (hinge to hood). These are the same shims used for fender alignment. This is a notorious problem on 66-67s. In more extreme cases I have had to slot the hinge mounting bolts to drop the rear position.

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)

Mine did that after reassembly. You have to lubricate the hell out of the hinges. And be sure each pivot pin is not worn or pitched. Sometimes a previous own will force an un-lubricated hood down and cause damage. 50 years is a long time and people get in there and screw things up. You might have to take them off, remove the spring, and make them floppy.

Does the hood close in one easy motion or do you have to give it one extra push to latch it? That symptom goes along with the hinges.

Bernie

• Like 1