Optimum Tow Configuration

John,<BR>I have had real good luck with my 3/4 ton Dodge Pickup with the Cummings Disel engine.<BR>I tow a tractor and a car hauler all over the south with this rig and have not had a problem. I also haul my 47 Buick which weighs about 4,200 lbs with this.<BR>Both my wife and I drive Dodge pickups and love them.<BR>Bill

John;<BR>If you decide on an enclosed trailer I would recommend the 8 1/2 foot wide ones and for sure a side door where the drivers door of the trailered vehicle is. Also it is money well spent for the optional heavier GVW and a trailer considerably longer than the car you will be towing for better weight distribution.<BR>impala

What are your opinions concerning the optimum tow vehicle and trailer for hauling a 4000 lb. 127 inch wheelbase sedan of 1940s vintage? There are open and closed trailers of all sizes and descriptions and many possibilities for tow vehicle. What is the best? What is acceptable?<P>jnp

• 2 weeks later...

John,<BR> I agree with the previous two people. I also have a 3/4 ton four wheel drive Dodge that just amazes me every time I use it. You may not like Dodge's, but they have the roomiest cabs of the big three. Regardless, pay the extra money and buy a diesel. The torque range is fantastic and I would suggest an automatic trans for various reasons. If your wife needs to move it for you some time, she will be able to do it. So would anybody else for that matter. Second, if you break a leg or arm, you can still drive comfortably. You also sit a little higher which makes visibility greater and causes less fatigue on long trips. The comfort of the new trucks matches many cars anymore so much that we use the truck to go to shows instead of the car for the reasons mentioned above. The wife enjoys driving the truck, a real plus. <BR> As for trailers, I would suggest a closed one. First, your vehicle is protected from the elements as well as vandals. Many parts are lost in parking lots of shows or tours, believe me. Second, if you break down, you have a nice portable garage to work on your vehicle out of the elements if need be. Finally, it can act as an extra garage when home to store cars, furniture, parts, etc. <BR> Most importantly, DON"T SKIMP ON QUALITY! I can't express that too much. A better trailer will easily last 15+ years and still look and function well. Make sure cross members are on 16" centers especially with the heavier cars. Look them all over. We each have our favorites, but there is a lot of difference in them. Talk to owners of closed trailers and find out the positive aspects and downfalls of each. Don't take just one owners opinion, though. We each treat our trailers differently. I store mine inside all winter. Some people don't. Crawl under them and see what they look like. There are many differences. The most expensive isn't always the best either. Once again, look at construction, you will see a vast difference from one manufacturer to another. I also prefer a ramp door; the manufacturers will tell you they are better for resale and it makes the trailer more versatile than just a car trailer. The 102" wide seem to be preferred also, but be careful with that extra 6 inches. It doesn't seem like a lot, but it takes a little more skill on the roads not to mention wider than normal mirrors on your tow vehicle. Get a drivers door installed for easier access in and out of the vehicle once it's in the trailer. People like me( with a little more girth) really need it. <BR> I hope this helps you out and if you have any questions, feel free to contact me. Good luck.

My opinion may differ from others, but, take it as one man's opinion.<BR>I used to have a Trailex Aluminum open trailer. I loved it <BR>I pulled it all the time it was no big deal, it just went everywhere the motor home went.<BR>I had a 1964 Amphicar on it and a 49 Jeepster.<BR>Then I bought a 1916, I pulled a few times on it but the wind at 70 MPH was too much<BR>For the 1916's top, so I decide to buy and enclosed. I sold the 15 year old Trailex for more than <BR>I paid for it. And ordered a custom trailer from Avenger. (top of line Vindicator)<BR>Since my 1916 is over 7 foot tall I had raise the roof, since I had to raise the roof they talked me in to getting a Wide body 8.5 foot. (As they said, it would be better proportioned." The car is short so (15 feet) So I got a 20 footer. I went ahead and loaded up the trailer, it has a walk on roof with a ladder,<BR>It has a fold up bed and table in the front, it has cabinets, it has a window in the side door. (Almost $8000)<BR>Well I went to pick it up in Michigan, boy was it big it. It dwarfed my little motor home,<BR>Then I realized other than length the motor home would fit in it.<BR>To make a long story short, I hate it, I hate pulling it, it makes me dread taking the car anywhere.<BR>Comparison<BR>Motor home gas mileage Dodge 1 ton 360 CI 4V <BR>Alone 12 MPG<BR>With Trailex open trailer 10 MPG<BR>With enclosed trailer 5 MPG<P>Open trailer you can see behind you, thought and around car.<BR>Enclosed, even with great big trailer mirrors you can't see around 8.5 foot, then when you disconnect<BR>the trailer with the big mirrors you can't park in the current parking spots, then some always runs<BR>in to your mirror when you park and moves them.<P>In traffic Cars will let you pull out to see what you have on the open trailer,<BR>With the enclose you will wait as no one want you in front of them blocking there view of signs etc.<P>Enclosed is nice as the car stays clean, but what a pain to tow.<P>I got rid of the old motor home in favor of a 3/4 custom van,<BR>I still hate to tow it but my Gas mileage at 55 mph is up to about 9 (19 without trailer)<BR>One other thing I hate, when big truck comes up to pass you especially cab over trucks,<BR>They push on the back of the trailer and you have to do major corrections to stay in your lane.<BR>and with a 11 foot tall, 8.5 foot wide box behind you, you can't see them coming, until the <BR>All of a sudden whip out on you.<BR>I have a weight distribution hitch and anti-sway bar setup.<P>I guess it isn't such a short story.<BR>But my opinion is buy as small and light of trailer as you can get by with.<BR>Don't consider enclosed unless you need it for storage of the car or wind protection.<BR>Just because a little car hauler doesn't make much difference, don't let yourself <BR>believe a bigger one will pull the same.<P>Jay Wolf<P><BR>------------------<P><BR>[This message has been edited by elgin 16 (edited 07-17-2000).]<P>[This message has been edited by elgin 16 (edited 07-17-2000).]<p>[This message has been edited by elgin 16 (edited 07-17-2000).]

Guest Chuck Conrad

Having owned both kinds, I'd go with an enclosed trailer. It's true, an open trailer is easier to tow than an enclosed trailer, and they are fine for "around town" local use. If you use one on a long trip your car will suffer, and there is always a security issue.<P>If you don't have the right tow vehicle, an enclosed trailer can really be a nightmare. I would recommend using AT LEAST a 3/4 ton long wheel base truck. I now use a one ton LWB Chevy and find it is easy to tow my 22' enclosed trailer with a heavy (6000 Lbs) car in it. The same trailer and load behind my Chevy Tahoe (which has a bigger engine) is marginal at best. The shorter wheelbase causes very unstable handling when you are passed by larger trucks, especially if you are going down hill or are in windy conditions. More than any other factor, the wheelbase of your tow vehicle will influence how the rig handles. Longer is better in this case.<P>I sometimes tow my enclosed trailer behind a 40 foot Silver Eagle Bus that I've converted to a motor home. It slows things down a bit, but the trailer is otherwise invisible. I have to watch it with my back-up TV camera to make sure it's still there. In a smaller tow vehicle, I don't need to be reminded.<P>Regardless of your tow vehicle choice, you should use an equalizing hitch and a sway control. They are readilly available and not very expensive in the grand scheme of things. <P>Chuck Conrad

Guest rcirilli

I've towed with both a closed and open trailer and clearly the open was easier. Having said that I wouldn't buy anything but a closed one. <P>I think as many have said, the tow vehicle is the most important item. a good suspension and enough power. I've used a 3/4 ton GMC, a one ton Ford and a motor home and you guest it the motor home was best. The others worked though and pretty well.<P>The more you have to spend the easier it all is. I wouldn't miss out on activities just because I wanted to go too first class. <BR>