Wanted, 1956 Buick AC Clutch parts

Buicknutty

I have ambitions of getting the A/C in my '56 working again, but I need to clutch innards, like the clutch disk, shims, etc. I have a good pulley, (my original was cracked in two spots), and I even have a good clutch bearing.

Shipping will be to Canada, the Toronto, Ontario, area.

Thanks for looking.

Keith

Can someone with a parts book share what the interchange is?  

My understanding is that Chevy, Pontiac, Buick, Olds, and Cadillac all used the same compressor in 1957, and this was the same A5 as the '56 Olds & Poncho compressor, but apparently there was something different about the Buick and Caddy compressor in '56.

And, just because they were different, are they incompatible?

I don't have any interchange info as to years and models, but it is the A5 style compressor, which was correct for a '56 Buick. I believe that a Caddy is the same, but I am not at all sure about the other GM makes. It might be as simple different mountings for the various engines that were in use at the time.

Keith

2 hours ago, Buicknutty said:

I don't have any interchange info as to years and models, but it is the A5 style compressor, which was correct for a '56 Buick. I believe that a Caddy is the same, but I am not at all sure about the other GM makes. It might be as simple different mountings for the various engines that were in use at the time.

Keith

Yes, A5s were used on GM cars from '55 to '61, but there were different pulleys used on different cars. Apparently there was also a flange on the back of the '55-'57 compressors, which is inconsequential to this discussion, except to say that not all A5s are built equally.  My guess is that there may be changes in the clutch assembly depending on the pulley setup used. 

Keith, exactly what parts are missing/broken?  Even though there are differences between years and makes/models, some parts are the same like the electromagnet and clutch disc assembly.  Were you able to buy that NOS compressor a few years ago?

Willie

Willie;

I did indeed buy the compressor from your friend a while back. Sadly, it is still sitting on a shelf in my basement.

Some of my original parts were getting rather worn, and the pulley had a couple of cracks in it. A person was trying to do some repairs on the clutch disc, the carbon balls were stuck, and the whole small box of parts has now gone missing. I have a NOS coil, and a good used correct pulley, but the disc, the clutch disc and spacer, shims, retaining bolt etc, have now gone awol.

I do suspect that most or all of the internal parts are common through different GM models, and some years, but I do not have the experience, or reference materials to know for sure.

The other thing I was wondering, if that NOS compressor should be disassembled, cleaned and lubed before putting it into service for the first time, as it has been sitting for decades.

I hope you find a 56 clutch assembly.  I could not, otherwise it would be on my 55 now :D.  If you had the parts, but broken, I could probably fix with some of my spare stuff. The main difference between 55 and 56 is the clutch which is splined in 55 and keyed in 56.

The compressor should be OK to use as is; just drain the old oil and replace with 9 ounces of  ISO 100  ester oil which would be compatible with any available refrigerant.

If the idler bearing in the pulley is not recent manufacture new, then it needs to be repacked with new grease...that old grease is dried out and the bearing will not last long.