1936 Buick trunk fittings

Paul White

I am a new member to AACA and was seeking Member's assistance in identifying the species of timber used to construct the framework that was screwed to the trunk floor and supported the luggage deck above the spare tire. I am currently researching images and recently had a look at a number of Australian Buick wrecks (see my recent photos in the gallery) I have commenced work on producing templates and will be heading off to a special wood supplier in Sydney once I can identify the appropriate timber. Can anyone help? 

From what I have seen and heard, much of the wood in the cars that was used was what was available at the time the car was built in the area the car was built.  In Flint, common wood would be ash, oak, maple, poplar, maybe chestnut or elm, etc.  I have never seen where there was a particular wood required except for maybe the wood wheels and wood steering wheels. 

Maybe others might have some additional experience.

GM Holden built the bodies in Adelaide. The bodies of Buick's built in Australia are not the same as in USA. The chassis and front sheet metal is ex USA, From the windscreen back its all Aussie.

Thanks for the feed back. My Buick appears to be from South African and I am currently trying to trace its history. It appears to be a South African build by a plate on the LHS of the firewall. Interestingly there is no information as to interior and or exterior colours/ materials or anything much else for that matter. Might have to approach somebody on the forum to help me with chassis and engine numbers.  I have a great timber merchant in Western Sydney who stocks just about any species from any where so I shall have to take your timber suggestions out to him to have a chat Cheers Paul - Buick Car Club of NSW,  Member 1150. Any of you Australians attending the August 2016 Buick Nationals in Wollongong?

Edited by Paul White (see edit history)

If you list the data plat numbers, chassis number & engine sean1997, can give you some information.

GM manufactured (since 1926) in South Africa, so many not be the same as USA - Australia