1963 Drive Shaft Support Bearing and Mount Questions

Riviera63

Hi,

In a couple of weeks I am taking my Riv in for a check up and having a couple of repairs taken care of pending my August trip to Buicks On the Bricks in Flint. After reading the latest Buick Bugle I am going to have the driveshaft center bearing and its rubber mount checked out. Does the drive shaft need to be removed to inspect the rubber mount or can it be viewed through the frame? Has anyone had experience with checking/replacing the mount and/or bearing? The car is 50+ years old, would replacing the mount and or bearing just be a good preventive thing to do or has it been people's experience that this is generally not a problem? I see that Classic Buick sells the mount and bearing together as a kit. Has anyone used their product? This would seem preferable to do rather than have to send the mount in to be revulcanized as you do with CARS or Steele Rubber. Any input, advice, tips etc. are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Bill

Drive Shaft Center Support Bearing and Mount.jpg

The driveshaft has to come out to inspect the bearing and mount.  Not a big job.  Mark where the u-joint is on the pinion flange and put it back that way.  Be prepared for a cup or two of transmission oil to come out when you remove driveshaft from end of transmission.

You will probably find shims under the bearing bracket.  Save them and put them back.

The rubber is fragile, so hard to replace the bearing without messing up the old rubber.  The bearing is sold by NAPA, if you need one (part BRG6908VAL).  I lubricated mt existing bearing with a grease needle and reinstalled it because my rubber was intact.

I have not used the set sold by Classic Buicks

If its the original by all means replace complete assembly. I'm generally not one to fix things if its not broke but this part is an exception. But the first step is to pull your driveshaft so it can be inspected closely. Look for cracking or dry rot in the rubber. Typically a leaking transmission tail shaft seal will have to be pretty bad for enough fluid to travel back the shaft and contaminate the rubber. I have seen occasions on 50 year old mounts that were still good but considering the difficulty in replacing it, and that its not in plain view for regular inspection, its just good peace of mind to replace it.

Not sure if the 63 is same as 66-67 so will refrain from offering R&R advice.

I have no experience with the mounts from Classic Buicks

They are quite similar to the two piece shaft hanger bearing used in GM pickup trucks, which were a lot easier to access without the "X" frame.

The bearing is a sealed unit, but the rubber mount was not intended to last forever, and deteriorates with age !