1941 Roadmaster--lot of car for $6000.

Pete Phillips

On ‎6‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 8:48 PM, Matt Harwood said:

. But a guy who is looking at this Buick, well, $6000 might be every penny he can scrounge up and that guy can't take a risk. It puts a lot of cars out of reach simply because the guys at the low end of the spectrum aren't really gamblers.

My philosophy is if a guy is going to buy a $6,000 antique car, he better have an additional $6,000 for the surprises (or non surprises you find pre purchase). 

No, all he needs is time, and some mechanical ability, and maybe some good friends to help.  Nobody remembers how it was in the old days...the 1960s and 1970s.  That said, I couldn't get this guy to correspond regularly.  Maybe he sold it locally.  I was considering a vacation trip out that way in September and I would have looked at the car.  I still think it was a pretty good car, and maybe what really happened is that he decided he was offering it at too low a price.

• Like 1

I remember the "old days" of the 1960s and 1970s well.  My father was active in the antique car hobby, owning several Fords, Chevys and Buicks along the way. 

Hemmings was printed on plain paper with a brown paper bag cover.  It is a lot easier to find cars and parts these days than it was back then.  Thanks internet. 

• Like 1