Add MP3 playback to existing radio?

Cali_Reatta

Found this great forum with a wealth of info today. What a great find. 

I have the 91 coupe with CD option. CD has been dead for a while. Found potential solutions today to get it fixed/replaced. What I really would like to do is be able to add in the ability to plug in my iPhone or other mp3 device into the existing system. Ultimateky I would like to do is eventually replace the CD player with new one and steal the cassette input for the mp3 player through a AUX jack.

When you push in a cassette or a cd (when it worked), the input was automately switched from the radio to correct input. Would need to figure out how to cause the switch to the MP3 input and where to disconnect the cassette and connect AUX input if it is possible. If not possible with replacing the cassette input, I would go for stealing the cd input for the AUX input. In my searching, I have not been able to find documentation on the radio in my car to try to figure out how I could potentially do this. Anybody know where I can get the manuals on this radio?

If anybody else has added MP3 to existing 90/91 radio with cd option, I am all ears to other potential solutions.  Bottom line want to add MP3 playback with existing equipment,

Jeff

My 1990 'vert had a am/fm/cassette with remote CD when I bought it. As my CD player didn't work I found an electronics whizz in Mc_Reatta [no longer a part of this forum] who traded out parts for knowledge and built me a lead. I removed the CD player that was non working and replaced it with the stock cubby with door. As this was done 3 years ago I don't remember much what the harness Mc_Reatta made me plugs into [either the back of the stereo or the CD harness] but what I do is put a non working cassette into the stereo and turn on my MP3 player and get songs.

My best advice is to send your stereo into someone like M&R [see sticky at top of page of suppliers] and they can add a port to plug your MP3 lead into.

If you had a 1988/89 Reatta I have an extra MP3 lead that is plug and play into the remote cassette deck that is available for sale.

Edited by DAVES89 (see edit history)

I had a '97 Malibu with a CD/Radio head unit and the remote tape deck down below.  It seems to me that my factory service manuals gave me the pinouts so I could steal the audio inputs from the tape deck and route them to the out of an iPod, I just never got around to it.  I think there's a serial link between the tape deck and the head unit, so I would have needed to put in a dummy tape to trigger the head unit to pipe the tape input into the power amp, or at least jumper a switch in the tape deck to get it to send the right signal.

Not exactly easy and straight forward, but not outside the realm of possibilities.  I just never got around to hacking the tape deck to do it.

Wow what a great tip about the wireless transmitter and really cheap. I have been trying to figure out the best way to play MP3's using the cassette input. this little FM transmitter looks like the solution without tearing anything apart. Thanx guys !!

http://www.amazon.com/MMC-Wireless-Transmitter-Remote-Black/dp/B0016BVDIK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1465103724&sr=8-2&keywords=mp3+cigarette+lighter+adapter

Deano

'89 Maroon/Maroon