1923 Buick 6 cyl Roadster

Guest schultz51

Guest schultz51

Can anyone tell me how to check and add oil to a 23 6 cyl. engine. Just was gifted my dad's high school car and trying to figure out how everything works. Also, does anyone publish a shop manual for this vehicle? Thank you.

The dipstick and filler cover on my 1925 6 cyl. is on the left side of the engine near the front.  The oil is not poured into the valve cover like on modern engines, but there is a big mushroom topped oil filler tube just above the oil pan. 

When was the last time the engine was started?  Is the oil clean?   Hugh

This will give you an idea on how to start it.  You will probably will have to add fuel to the vacuum tank to get it to start sucking fuel from the main tank.

If the car has not been started in years, I would drain all the fuel in both tanks, check the operation of the float in the carb, drop the pan to clean out all the gunk and then fill with 30 wt oil.  

Then turn over with the crank handle, ignition off, to make sure the engine is not frozen.  If not frozen, check to make sure you have coolant, fresh gas flowing into the carb, and attempt to start it with 3/4 choke and full advance.

Let us know how it goes.

• Like 1