Original unrestored 1915 REO 6 Roadster selling at Auction

Guest Stan Howe

Guest Stan Howe

We will be selling a 1915 REO 6 cylinder roadster in running and driving condition at Auction in Augusta, Montana (near Great Falls) June 11, 2016.  Quite likely the only unrestored REO of this age and model in existence.  It shows 10, 575 miles, which is likely correct and is an original Montana car with Pioneer license plate number 19.  For additional information follow this link, http://frontrangeauctions.com/414_Wilson_1915_REO.php  You may also contact me via phone at 406-949-3448 or email stanhowemt@aol.com  The car sells to the highest bidder and is not for sale before the auction.  This is a link to a you tube video:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSjraI4nEk0  and another  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D35A5tC9raA  Thank you to the AACA for this space.  

2016 5 15 414 067.JPG

2016 5 14 414 rep 012.JPG

2016 5 14 414 rep 010.JPG

That's a really neat car.  I believe it's a 1916, the engine gives it away, that's the only year that Reo had the two sets of bolted on jugs with separate covers over the valves.

A 1915 would have slightly more value, being HCCA eligible.  This car sure would be an unusual addition to any collection, though!  The "eyebrow" on the top of the radiator is, I think, a feature unique to mid-teens Reos.....

I'm not sure what Reo called the 4-passenger roadster, some manufacturers called it a Cloverleaf roadster......nice car!

My Initial reaction is this is an older restoration. I don't believe it is original. The way the paint is chipping off looks like lacquer paint from the '50s. Great looking car and would be a lot of fun to own. 

• Like 1

Really neat! The first link has a lot of great photos. Again we see quite a few of these types of ads that state "original, unrestored" and such. As the director of the Mason-Dixon Chapter of the BCA I do get requests to find buyers for a car. Amazing how many have told me that the car has never been restored and that all is as original.... except....." it had a new paint job in 1950 or so in a better color and the leather was replaced with vinyl and the engine was replaced with a newer rebuilt one. We just got tired of it and parked it in 1955 so it should still run".  Most appear to have at least had a "Used Car" fix up in the late 1940s or 50s. I wonder when the # 19 Montana Pioneer plate was issued. Still a great find and in running condition!

• Like 1

The gray primer makes me think it has had a repaint at some time in the past..It does look like the car had very little done to it over the years.

I almost bought a Chrysler coupe that had Montana plate # 126, may have been put on the car around 1980.

100_2290.JPG