Nice 1923 in Tucson

1923 Sedan? Try a 1923-55 Sport Touring.  The interior photos check. I would need to see the back for the trunk rack /tire carriers to be sure. I would really love to have one of these! Looks to have been restored at some time. There were several offered in the Buick Bugle over the last couple of years and on Ebay, Hemmings etc. So with this one 4 more have shown up recently. Same problem that I always have. It is on the wrong side of the USA. I almost went for the rough, black example in Michigan. The 1923-54 sport Roadster in Vermont was the beginning of us "Looking For A Driver Buick" posts on the forum.

Wishing does not make it so. I still need to focus on keeping my 1925-25 running.

244247d1398372643-1923-buick-model-55-touring-solid-395493-r1-017-7.jpg23-13.jpg

I would say its a sport tourer,  with the wooden steering wheel and the top of the range instrument panel.  Looks like all it needs is a good clean and polish.  Larry what does it cost to ship it across the U.S.  You would have one beautiful car there.  I would love that car,  The only problem,  now the   Aust $ has dropped to 72c against the US $,  and then there,s the $10,000 to get it out here.

00000_8ghygznR4sG_1200x900.jpg

• Like 1

I just spoke to the owner and he has promised me more photos. He indicated that this was his fathers car that was purchased from another Tucson car club member in the 1960s. It shows over 90,000 miles.  It has not been driven for over 10 years. They have tried to get it running but will not stay running because of the usual fuel related issues. It had been re-upholstered in vinyl and said that it is also worn. So none of the unique Spanish Grain pattern is left except what is on the dash. The top sockets and bows are present but there is no top material. He does not know if the wind wing hardware is there. He said his father had a basket case 1922 (4cyl.?6cyl?) chassis and misc.1922 parts in boxes which he can not identify. These are also available

.180940_Interior_Web.jpgThis photo is of a 1923-55 with what the original upholstery grain pattern is to look like.

Edited by dibarlaw (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well after a month and a half of negotiations the car is sold. Of course not to me. I will keep dreaming. I hope the new owner will keep us informed as to its progress. My son was near by on one of his runs to Phoenix and was able to look it over on the 20th of June. It did have most of the things I was concerned about. The spark plug cover, splash shields and the wind wings. It will make someone a nice project. Now I have to get busy on my 1925-25 to make sure it gets to Allentown.

• 1 month later...

I just spent nearly an hour talking to the new owner  of the 1923-55. (He does upholstery professionally).I am very pleased that he is planning on doing things correctly. He also indicated that there were many items the seller did not tell me about that came with the car. All the (missing in the photos) parts specific to the Sport Touring that I had questioned him about. There was the complete original top rolled up. All the original side curtains were stretched out and mounted on a piece of ply wood. Some of the original upholstery was underneath two other seat covers. The correct carpet was there also. My son stopped to look over the car and were not shown some of these things.

I held to my original offer since it was going to cost over $2,000 to get it and the 1921?1922? parts chassis  back to PA. The new owner said that the entire parts chassis had been totally knocked down. Springs down to individual leaves, the wheels to the spokes etc.

I did finally ask what he had to give for all. He paid $1,250 less than I offered. Yes, that bothered me but I could understand as he was local and had CASH. At least I know I made a fair offer.

• Like 2

Hopefully the new owner will allow us to keep track of the restoration process. I am already sending him information to his email. He is going to send me the engine and frame numbers to verify the year and model of the parts car. So there will be some of these parts available for sale.