83 Power Antenna Removal

Jim65Riv

When I did my brother's '85 I removed the fender, I'm not sure if there is a better/easier way but that was how I did it. Possibly someone else has a way without removing the fender but I believe that is how the manual says you have to do it?

Support the rear hood edge on the passenger side. Mark around the flat washers under all fasteners for the hood hinge ( an electric scribing tool works well for this) so installation will be in the same place preserving hood alignment, and remove the passenger side hood hinge. You can remove all fasteners associated with the power antenna and remove the assembly thru the void created by removing the hood hinge. Sounds complicated but it really isnt. I have done  4 or 5 using this method.

It is a good idea to support the front hood edge with a prop and use a heavy towel and a piece of 2X4 to support the rear hood edge. Good luck!

Tom Mooney

On my '84 Toronado, I chose to remove the lower rocker trim (extends over the fender) and remove the lower bolts which attach the fender to the body skeleton.

The fender can then be pulled out and wedged open with a small wood block.  After disconnecting the power connector & signal lead and removing the lower antenna

attachment bolts & top escutcheon, the antenna can be easily removed from below.  You'll need 1/4 socket drive tools and universal to remove the fender bolts near the

door hinges.

The hood hinge removal method as suggested by 1965rivgs does sounds easier thought... :)

In my case, I already had the trim off because I was prepping for body work and paint.

Good Luck,

Paul

Removing Power Antenna 01.jpg

Removing Power Antenna 02.jpg

Edited by pfloro (see edit history)

When I had my '85 Riv I pulled the antenna using the same method as Paul has shown with his Toro above.