1947 Roadmaster tire size

dfeazell

So, I found a 47 76S,  got it bought, and back home.  Great trip to the Black Hills where the previous owner lives on a mountain.  Nice guy and a nice car.  My question is can I put an 820 15 Lester tire under the fenders.  I purchased a set but read here somewhere they aint gonna fit.  Your help would be appreciated.  Thanks, Dave

IMAG0353.jpg

Edited by dfeazell (see edit history)

An 8.20 x 15 will not fit in the rear wheel well or the spare tire well.  I know from experience after buying 5 for a '47 Roadmaster.  The correct size is 7.00 x 15 and it fits and looks good on the car.  Buick increased the size of the rear wheel wells and spare well for '48 and switched to the 8.20 x 15 for that year.

Don't know about the spare well but an 8.20 15 Firestone from my 50 roadmaster fits in the rear fender.  The tires I ordered are Lester and they don't give a section width.  They are 1/2 inch taller on the radius but there is clearance radially.  The tight spot is at the bottom front of the wheel opening.  Plenty of clearance on the wheel cover.  I couldn't fit it in the fender when I lifted at the axle.   Lifting from the bumper it went in fine.  Worse case, I will have to change out the Firestones and run the Lesters on the 50. 

Guest kanman

A 710x15 was a good size tire or 760x15 they are 41/2 inches wide

should fit your trunk ok, however I can`t remember if they went to 15

or still had 16 inch tires in 47.I know 48 had 15 and I think some 47 had

15,s on them.you might check with Lucas tire in Long Beach Calif. they

could tell you more.

Thanks for the information.  My intent is not to show but to have a nice driving car.  The taller 8.20 tires should help with the 4.10 rear ratio.  They do fit.  I also like the look of a bigger tire and whitewall. 

Screen Shot 2016-05-06 at 10.04.40 AM.png

wheels blasted, painted, striped and tires mounted.  Took it for a test drive and I have a steering wheel shake.  It was there with the radials and now is more pronounced.  Going to have the tires balance by someone else and check alignment. 

Screen Shot 2016-05-11 at 7.45.19 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-05-11 at 7.45.38 AM.png

• Like 1