How to lower convertible top on a '36-'38?

CarNucopia

I'm considering buying a Buick convertible from '36, '37 or '38 and have a question. How difficult is it to raise and lower the top? Any car I own I plan to drive, which means putting the top down can't be a prolonged activity. I'm looking at 2-doors and Phaetons, so opinions on both would be very helpful.

Thanks.

Edited by Buick64C (see edit history)

The phaetons/convertible sedans are a bit more of an ordeal and a helper makes a big difference. I found that with practice, I can do it alone by standing in the back seat and pulling it over my head, but it's still a big job. There's a reason most convertible sedan owners never put the tops down. You won't be putting it up in a few seconds in the event of a sudden rain storm--you and the interior are going to get wet.

On 4/12/2016 at 11:44 AM, Matt Harwood said:

The phaetons/convertible sedans are a bit more of an ordeal and a helper makes a big difference. I found that with practice, I can do it alone by standing in the back seat and pulling it over my head, but it's still a big job. There's a reason most convertible sedan owners never put the tops down. You won't be putting it up in a few seconds in the event of a sudden rain storm--you and the interior are going to get wet.

Actually, with a bit of practice I can get my '37 Roadmaster Phaeton 80C (convertible sedan) top up or down in just a few minutes - but it does take practice since the "B" pillars, and the Roof rails are detachable with wing-bolts

1937 Buick at St Bernard - right rear.JPG

• Like 1