Radiator replacement

Brianbuick

I have a leaking , probably original,radiator on my 1955 Special. It got me to Springfield and back last year but I don't figure it will heal itself. Identification on the top is: Harrison 3131175 55D R21. The top shell is kind of dented up so it seemed like a good time to improve reliability and appearance by getting a new one. There was a thread from 2013 on the topic and Walker Radiator Works seemed to be highly though of by one contributor. I located Classic Radiators in Farmingdale NY. They look good from their website.

I was just wondering if anybody has any words of wisdom as to what I am contemplating and any experience with either of these two sources, or perhaps others.

Thanks, Brian

I had my radiator re-cored and rebuilt by the local salvage yard. The man did an amazing job for $200 and it hasn't failed me in 8 months the car has been running. I also had a core added to the original radiator size. Looks completely stock with the fan shroud. Check locally, there may be something similar.

• Like 1

Not those guys but there are usually more local shops that can re-core your radiator with an original tube and fin type core. The often dented top tank should have the dents tapped out then after the re-core finish the dent removal by filling and smoothing with body putty, then paint. Don't let anyone tell you body putty won't hold up. I'll show you four cars with dent free top tanks ranging from 15 years since repair.........Bob

• Like 4

… Find and fill a long leather purse/bag from the Goodwill or like source with sand. Then flip / invert the tank top onto the sand bag and press it into the sand making the bag conform to the radiator tank top.  Take a copper 1" pipe x 4 inches long with gloves on and a Matt Propane Torch and lightly heat the inside of the tank while intermittently rolling the copper pipe with your other hand over the surface of the inner tank, while pressing down into the sand bag when required to roll out indentations.  Then go back over and even and smooth out transitions in the copper tank surface. You can step down to a 3/4 inch pipe, then to a 1/2 inch pipe for fine tuning and tight areas.  This will finesse most if not all of the imperfections out.  Just take your time and shoot some photos and when your done post them here for a before and after look.  

I took my 55 Roadmaster to Classic radiator to see if they could get my inop A/C working. They tried for a couple hours with no luck, charged me a nominal fee for the trouble(i Subsequently fixed it myself with the help of Willie). They seemed honest. The owner has a 55 Roadmaster he is restoring. The shop was filled with pre 70's cars in for repair.

Your technique sounds similar to the paintless dent removal that has become so popular, except with the addition of heat. I'll need to get the top tank back from the repair shop before reinstallation.  I'll take pictures and then see if I can figure out how to post them.

thanks to both of you for the additional input.

Just take it slow and don't turn the dents into high spots. The brass is too thin to sand down high spots. I like to rough up the brass with a course grit to improve adhesion of the body filler. It should look like new.........Bob