1966 Wildcat convertible. SE Wisconsin

Guest Usojohn

Guest Usojohn

Thanks! I've been infatuated with this 65/66 body style for about 15 years now, and this is the 4th that I've owned. I bought this one about 3 years ago out of Chicago. It had been sitting for some time, but ran and drove decent. I cruised it around for a year or so, then rented my own body shop for a year with the main goal to get this thing painted. I settled on a color from a 2010 Kia called alien green. I wanted an original style color, but with modern metallic and a hint of pearl. I decided against painting it the original beige color, thinking it would be a bit plain. I am doing most of the work myself, and this isn't destined to be a "correct" or "high dollar"restoration. I like to drive my cars, so bumps and bruises are expected here and there, Next I'll post  a few picks of how it looked when I got it, and a few progress pics in the booth...

Guest Usojohn

Three coats of clear, let cure about 6 weeks, then wetsanded and sprayed another 2 coats (not sure if this was first 3 coats or 2nd 2 coats):

post-156298-0-94740900-1456627234_thumb.

post-156298-0-61214700-1456627265_thumb.

Rented a body shop?  That's interesting.  At this writing the earlier picture you posted is not showing, but I was thinking that color looked strikingly similar to the BMD 1969 Green I used one time.  Then again, it could just be my PC's monitor tone that caused it to look that way.    At either rate, the Wildcat looks great in those pictures. 

Edited by JohnD1956 (see edit history)

I don't see your first posted pictures either.

Looks like you had a good foundation vehicle to start with which is not the normal use kinda car around Chicago I would imagine unless well taken care of.

Even the interior appears in great condition, a big plus.

Keep us posted. B)  

Guest Usojohn

Rented a body shop?  That's interesting.  At this writing the earlier picture you posted is not showing, but I was thinking that color looked strikingly similar to the BMD 1969 Green I used one time.  Then again, it could just be my PC's monitor tone that caused it to look that way.    At either rate, the Wildcat looks great in those pictures.

It's a long story with the body shop, but the plan was to get the Buick painted while attempting a side business. I was too busy working on customer cars to get to the Buick, defeating the purpose once I factor in family, my full time job, and other hobbies!